Mt. Vernon AE auger jammed error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fedup78

Mar 29, 2022
Maryland
I've read a lot of threads and other posts related to the Mt. Vernon AE auger jammed error code, but haven't found anything with my issue. We just purchased our house in the fall and it came with the stove. The stove turns on and works for about 45 minutes to an hour and then the error code shows up. I have to unplug it to reset it. I've taken the auger apart several times and there isn't an actual jam. It only seems to happen when it's below 40 degrees, of course that's when we really need it to work properly since it is our primary heat source. These are all of the things that I have done.

Cleaned the optical sensor, replaced the sensor, replaced the auger motor, and finally replaced the control board thinking that had to be the problem. Nevertheless I'm still getting the error message. Also cleaned it several times.

What am I missing? I'm completely fed up with this stove.

You say you replaced the auger motor, Did this include a new optical sensor as well ? And what year stove is it, and what rev control board does it have? The stove should have a silver sticker on the back of it, with the year, and the control board should have a white sticker on it, with the rev # srv whatever. kap

Yes, replaced the motor and sensor along with the control board. The stove is a 2007. It is running rev. C on the control board. Happy warmer weather is here, but fearful next fall is going to have the same issues.

What is the rest of the revision number ?

That is the correct one for the update they did, to address an issue the stove had. kap

No, that was the version board that was in it previously and that is what the new board is also. I thought for sure replacing the board would fix the issue, but we continue to get the auger jammed error message.

I would double check wire harness's and placement of optical sensor. And that allen screw on auger is tight so auger is not slipping.
kap

I've checked the wiring harness and optical sensor, and nothing seemed wrong or out of place. Is there something particular I should look for?

Allen screw is tight on the auger.

I'm at a loss.

You want to check the 10 pin harness for loose pin or broken wire. You have replaced everything else. Make sure you installed all wires on control board correctly, New wire harness may be last option. But just for shits and giggles, jump the vac switch, ( this means pulling wires off vac switch and jumping them together with a jumper wire. I made one with spade insert ends to do this. Be careful not to touch stove with these wires or you can short things out. And then see if error code quits, when you fire up the stove .kap