Mt Vernon AE Freestanding - Outside Air Kit OAK Pictures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

budget76

Sep 28, 2022
CT
I am trying to understand how the MT Vernon AE outside air kit works. Does anyone with one installed have photos? Preferably from the exhasust fan side of the stove, with cover off if possible? Or even the install manual full page would be awesome, I can only find the partial snip below and it doesn't really show how it works

The only thing that seems to make sense is somehow adding a duct adapter to the back panel of the stove but that leaves tons of other places for the intake fan to pull air from. I'm not understanding how an OAK would be useful with this stove/fan design. I'd love to add one, but i must be missing something on how it'd work?

thank you

1700488101048.png

1700488199450.png

I'm not sure I understand your question but I do have an MVAE with the OAK that I installed a couple of years after the dealer did the initial install of the stove. I do not have pictures with the cover off but here are two showing the back of the stove and the window it exits. Maybe we can start from here. Hope this helps.

IMG_20231121_081316.jpg IMG_20231121_081305.jpg

Only 2 stoves come to mind that have sealed
air intake inside the stove Harman and Enviro
The OAK allows outside air to be pulled to the
stove combustion air intake. Needed in a very
tight house. Don't have to crack open a window in order
for fire to burn right. I have an OAK on my stove
to stop the stove from using air that I paid to heat
going up the chimney it also stops a cold draft
of air going across the floor to the stove. Hope this helps

thank you John, I think i may have found your pictures from years back when hunting. Where does your intake hose route to on the inside? the fan doesn't have provisions to mount a plate to the intake side, so it looks like the intake hose just mounts to the sheetmetal back of the stove somewhere? Doesn't that mean the fan can pull air from the OAK hose, or thru the slotted backing of the back of the stove?

that's where I'm confused. If you happen to have a minute to pull the cover off and snap a pic of the inside setup it'd be GREATLY appreciated. Just not seeing how the kit works/pulls solely outside air versus a mix of inside and outside. $150 is not cheap, so I don't want to order the kit till I understand what it does

my house isn't tight, but I'd like to stop burning warm air and pulling in cold air into the futher away rooms.

thanks again

My Envrio is a sealed unit all combustion air comes from outside
all convection air is from inside the house. My OAK is fitted to a nipple on the stove
your stove has a different setup, an OAK gives the stove the opportunity to draw
outside air for combustion stopping drafts from windows and doors or wherever
it can draw air from. I made my own OAK, didn't like the price so about 40$ worth of parts
and I had a working OAK

My Envrio is a sealed unit all combustion air comes from outside
all convection air is from inside the house. My OAK is fitted to a nipple on the stove
your stove has a different setup, an OAK gives the stove the opportunity to draw
outside air for combustion stopping drafts from windows and doors or wherever
it can draw air from. I made my own OAK, didn't like the price so about 40$ worth of parts
and I had a working OAK
agreed. thats why I'd love to see a MT Vernon AE factory OAK setup. I can fab my own but I'm questioning the performance of the OEM design to begin with if it mounts how I think it does

Ronnie, the stove is running flat out right now as it's 23* here this morning and I would prefer not to pull the covers but let's see if I can answer your question. The adapter that's on the back of the stove is far from sealed. I can't remember whether the stove came with it or whether it was part of the kit. After some internet searching I believe the duct adapter came with the stove. Unfortunately I can't find the paperwork that came with the kit. In any event, I do remember installing the OAK and thinking is pretty "leaky" so I siliconed the seams around the adapter that I could readily reach to seal it a little better. Did the OAK make a difference? I can't say for sure but I feel better knowing I did as such as I could do to make the area more comfortable. FWIW, my house was built in 1987 so it's somewhat tight.