Mt Vernon AE Insert - Combustion Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sener

Jan 28, 2019
Portland, ME
Hello all! I’ve been following this forum for the past 5 years or so and have been reading great advice so thank you for all that! I finally have a unique situation so here is my first post :)

I got the “comb blower jammed” error so I decided take out the blower to take a look. Cleaned it etc. but the blades were still turning slow. Decided to take it apart before I spend $300~ on a new one.

Took out like 6 screws. Didn’t need to detach the fan but by the time I realized that it was too late. The bar the fan attaches to has 2 rings on it. One at the end of the bar, one towards the middle. One in the middle wasn’t turning easily, I decided that was the problem so I put some wd40 on it. First question here, is this safe?

As I was putting the fan back together I noticed I can’t tighten the nut that holds the fan all the way or the fan won’t turn. I tightened it as much as I can without slowing the fan. Second question here: should I leave it just tight enough that it won’t turn easily by itself, but not tight enough so it’s not pushing down on the fan? Is there a trick to this?

I put everything back together and no more error! Blower started but now I hear a whirling sound coming from the blower. It doesn’t sound like metal on metal and it’s gotten better after an hour of running. Any idea what it could be?

Do you guys think the blower will go out soon again? Should I have one handy?

Also, where the exhaust attaches to the pipe, there is some red silicone. What is that material called? In case I replace it, I probably need to use it. I’m guessing it’s used to seal.

Thank you for reading! Looking forward to your answers.

The grey dial is for settings for euro tables for overseas stoves. I would think about getting a spare comb. blower. Make sure it comes with the reuseable gasket or get one at same time. And they have changed suppliers, so depending on year of your stove, you may need to do some re-arranging on the new blower to fit stove. Mine is an 06. Bought a new comb fan last year. I had to take it apart to a point where I could spin the motor, so it would install correctly on my older stove without having to change the housing too. Wd40 is flammable, and it won't last long. kap

I don’t think it’s a bearing, I think it’s the ring I put wd40 on.

Is there anything I can use that will last longer than wd40?

I’ll definitely get a new blower and a gasket to be ready. Can I just buy the motor? Any recommendations on where to buy? Any deals anywhere? I found one, it’s like $350

Seems like a lot of work for little return. Wish U luck.

Thanks man. It'll save me $250, I guess not a lot of money. But I'm more about not wasting. If I can actually get the bearing to last for 6 months or so, it's not too bad. It'll take 15-20mins to get it out and lubricate it. I guess I'll have to change the gasket everytime, right?

Don't know, but it depends on what shape it's in. My Harmon XXV Combustion fan has not gasket to replaced that I can tell when I do deep clean. Just did it yesterday. Easy fan to get to.

Use a good synthetic motor oil or 3in1 oil. If they aren’t to damaged you may get your 6 months. But when they fail it will be -40::F and your snowed in, no place open. Lol thats what happens with me:cool:

Reactions: kappel15
When I replace the blower, how do I apply the red silicone? Do I apply it around the gap after I install? Or do I put it on the blower then install?

Also we said grey dial is for euro tables but what’s the correct setting for us? 0 (zero)?

O is your correct setting. If you are just installing the blower, there is no need for silicone. You should have an orange reuseable gasket that goes on behind it. If you are using the motor and housing it came with, there is a gasket for the housing to bolt on, then put the silicone on the pipe end afterwards. kap