Mt. Vernon AE Not Keeping Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ciango

Jan 13, 2018
Maryland
Just got a Mt. Vernon AE Insert installed. Burning Hamer pellets. Have been messing around with different settings. Last night I burned on on hardwood setting on auto with thermostat set to 75 degrees to keep temp around 70. Woke up and it was at 65. Have been trying all day to get heat back up, so now I'm burning on sunflower setting with flame to -5, heat output H, but thermostat is still around 65

I live in a 2,700 sq ft 2 story house with it venting out of chimney wind chill outside is about 21 What settings do you use burning Hamers on this stove?

That's allot of space to heat with a pellet stove... bring your heat up with your furnace/main heat source. This will give the stove a fighting chance while your messing with the settings. Remember you are trying to climatize your space, and every pc inside your home.....

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: kappel15
If you are burning hardwood pellets, have it set on either hardwood or utility setting. Run it on manual instead of auto, for more heat output. And make sure of your flame height adjustment per your manual as this is your feed rate. And make sure your fan speed is on normal,not quiet kap

Thanks for the reply, Kap. I heard sunflower is best setting for heat output, I know it's using more pellets, but want to try to stabilize heat first, then switch over to hardwood. Is that a bad idea?

For flame height, it should be where the flame is touching the top of the diamond on occasion when on Manual High, right? If it's not keeping heat up at 0, is it okay to raise?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Kap-- if you don't mind, in your opinion, what would your optimal settings be if your burning Hamer's in a MV AE Insert venting through chimney trying to heat 2700 sq ft. in a 2 story open layout.

I've read a lot on different setting people use, messing with fuel type (hardwood vs sunflower),, flame height, elevation, etc... What would you recommend

I would stay off sunflower as the feed will be too fast for pellets. And it is best heat source, if you are burning sunflower seeds. Manual high, flame should be touching top of diamond and a tad higher. You need to adjust your flame height per your manual. On manual high, flame should be touching top of diamond and a tad higher. If it isn't, raise flame height adjustment, till it is. Change should almost be simultaneous, but give it a minute. I burn corn in my 06 model, and my flame height is at -5, and I still get a pretty good flame. If I want lots of heat, I burn on manual, high heat output. kap