Mt Vernon ae problem

lmm Posted By lmm, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:08 PM

1. lmm

lmm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Tuesday
    Loc:
    My Mt Vernon ae is 3 yrs old. Every once in a while it kind of acts like it wants to do its own thing. No matter what temperature you set the thermostat or if its on manual or auto it just runs at its own temperature, usually cold. It starts, runs for a couple minutes, long enough for blowers to operate then shuts down. it just doesn't seem to do anything like the thermostat says. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Do you get any error codes on wall control, And what phase of startup is it in when it quits?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lmm

lmm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Tuesday
    Loc:
    No error codes. It ignites, starts as it should but only runs basically until convection blower runs for a few minutes and goes into shut down.Doesn't get to its temp on thermostat.

4. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Does it reach running speed? Are you on manual? Does it hit what you have it set at for heat output?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lmm

lmm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Tuesday
    Loc:
    No.
    On manual it reaches normal operation but never reaches the set thermostat temp (pretty much the same in auto), runs for a short time and goes into shutdown. Starts up again, runs normally for a few minutes and shuts down and so on.

6. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Check and make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover, or it will give false readings that could cause this. Also if the cover is full of ash insulating the fptc. Should be sticking into firepot an inch also. A faulty firepot tc could also be causing this. kap

lmm likes this.
  7. lmm

lmm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Tuesday
    Loc:
    Thanks Kappel15. Took baffle out and cleaned it. Didn't seem to have that much ash behind it but it did make a difference. My chimney vent also just goes out horizontal about four feet and I cleaned it also, again didn't seem like much ash but cleaning both made a difference. I had just cleaned them about two months ago. Thanks, I usually only clean the baffle once a year, I guess it needs it more often.

8. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Not what I was talking about, but if it works, good deal.kap

9. lmm

lmm
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Tuesday
    Loc:
    I know you are talking about the thermocouple in fire pot. I had already checked it and firepot. I had pretty much cleaned everything I could think of except the chimney vent and baffle. I usually only clean them a couple times a year but after cleaning them the night before last the stove seems to be working like it should. Why would a little ash build up behind baffle really mess things up? Ive seen it much worse.

10. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    You got me. Usually a dirty stove makes em run bad, not shut down, unless they are a real mess. kap