Mt Vernon ae problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lmm

Dec 4, 2018
My Mt Vernon ae is 3 yrs old. Every once in a while it kind of acts like it wants to do its own thing. No matter what temperature you set the thermostat or if its on manual or auto it just runs at its own temperature, usually cold. It starts, runs for a couple minutes, long enough for blowers to operate then shuts down. it just doesn't seem to do anything like the thermostat says. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you get any error codes on wall control, And what phase of startup is it in when it quits?

Do you get any error codes on wall control, And what phase of startup is it in when it quits?
No error codes. It ignites, starts as it should but only runs basically until convection blower runs for a few minutes and goes into shut down.Doesn't get to its temp on thermostat.

Does it reach running speed? Are you on manual? Does it hit what you have it set at for heat output?

Does it reach running speed? Are you on manual? Does it hit what you have it set at for heat output?
No.
On manual it reaches normal operation but never reaches the set thermostat temp (pretty much the same in auto), runs for a short time and goes into shutdown. Starts up again, runs normally for a few minutes and shuts down and so on.

Check and make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover, or it will give false readings that could cause this. Also if the cover is full of ash insulating the fptc. Should be sticking into firepot an inch also. A faulty firepot tc could also be causing this. kap

Reactions: lmm
Check and make sure the firepot thermocouple is touching the inside end of the cover, or it will give false readings that could cause this. Also if the cover is full of ash insulating the fptc. Should be sticking into firepot an inch also. A faulty firepot tc could also be causing this. kap
Thanks Kappel15. Took baffle out and cleaned it. Didn't seem to have that much ash behind it but it did make a difference. My chimney vent also just goes out horizontal about four feet and I cleaned it also, again didn't seem like much ash but cleaning both made a difference. I had just cleaned them about two months ago. Thanks, I usually only clean the baffle once a year, I guess it needs it more often.

Not what I was talking about, but if it works, good deal.kap

Not what I was talking about, but if it works, good deal.kap
I know you are talking about the thermocouple in fire pot. I had already checked it and firepot. I had pretty much cleaned everything I could think of except the chimney vent and baffle. I usually only clean them a couple times a year but after cleaning them the night before last the stove seems to be working like it should. Why would a little ash build up behind baffle really mess things up? Ive seen it much worse.

You got me. Usually a dirty stove makes em run bad, not shut down, unless they are a real mess. kap

This is actually the same problem that I was having last year. Hopefully Kappel15 is still around to maybe answer this.
Does the cover come off the thermo couple? Mine twists a little but I'm a little leery of twisting to hard. I've cleaned everything and its doing the same thing as last year. Starts ok but just doesn't come up to temp and shuts down. Thanks in advance!

Inside the thermo couple cover was clean. Went ahead and tried it and the same happenend. Starts fine, goes through start up and then goes into shut down. Help!!!

Did you make sure the tcouple was touching the inside end of the cover? Have you ever unplugged the firepot tcouple? And if so, could you have plugged it in backwards? This would reverse the polarity . You may need to test the fptc to see if it is bad. Disconnect it from the board, and uncover the pot end. Use a digital meter and set it to millivolts DC. Put each probe on the connector wires, and heat the end of the tc. A good tc will read 15 mV or higher. Also use a mirror and flashlight and look up the drop chute to see if you are getting any bridging over the opening from long pellets, if you are burning those. kap

Are you getting the same error code every time? Have you checked your auger motor to make sure it’s not reversing after running a short while?

Just a wild guess is the vac. switch or hose to it OK
not plugged with ash cracked or split hose switch disconnected?

Reactions: Ssyko
No error codes at all.
Haven't messed with thermo couple at all except to clean the cover. Just by measuring, not sure if its actually hitting the cover end but its close. Chute is clear. Haven't tested the tc, thats the next thing to try.
I have just visually checked the hoses etc.

No error codes at all.
Haven't messed with thermo couple at all except to clean the cover. Just by measuring, not sure if its actually hitting the cover end but its close. Chute is clear. Haven't tested the tc, thats the next thing to try.
I have just visually checked the hoses etc.
Did you make sure the tcouple was touching the inside end of the cover? Have you ever unplugged the firepot tcouple? And if so, could you have plugged it in backwards? This would reverse the polarity . You may need to test the fptc to see if it is bad. Disconnect it from the board, and uncover the pot end. Use a digital meter and set it to millivolts DC. Put each probe on the connector wires, and heat the end of the tc. A good tc will read 15 mV or higher. Also use a mirror and flashlight and look up the drop chute to see if you are getting any bridging over the opening from long pellets, if you are burning those. kap
5.8 mv on fire pot tc. doesn't seem to be bridging in drop chute.
I did use a computer can of compressed air and blew through the hose from vac switch into drop chute and it actually ran for about 10 minutes but fans still never came on. When i unplugged the drop tube tc fans came on. plugged in and fans shut off. ??

5.8 mv on fire pot tc. doesn't seem to be bridging in drop chute.
I did use a computer can of compressed air and blew through the hose from vac switch into drop chute and it actually ran for about 10 minutes but fans still never came on. When i unplugged the drop tube tc fans came on. plugged in and fans shut off. ??
also error codes would come up when I unplugged each tc connector.

Same with the drop tube thermocouple. Have you unplugged it before and plugged it back in backwards? The drop tube tc runs your conv fan. Exhaust fan should of been on already, or your house would of filled with smoke. The firepot tc should read 15 mV or higher. If yours only read 5.8, this could be part of your problem. kap

Same with the drop tube thermocouple. Have you unplugged it before and plugged it back in backwards? The drop tube tc runs your conv fan. Exhaust fan should of been on already, or your house would of filled with smoke. The firepot tc should read 15 mV or higher. If yours only read 5.8, this could be part of your problem. kap
Had a service tech finally come and check the stove. Very expensive cleaning. He said I did a good job of cleaning but not the best apparently. He took the exhaust fan out and cleaned the chamber and everything works fine!

Guess chaulk it up to a very expensive lesson learned. There is clean, and then there is clean. kap

Sorry to say, but I'm back . Stove has been working ok for awhile now, but yesterday after cleaning ash from stove it decided to start the same old stuff. Fires up and as soon as convection blower starts it goes into shut down. Cleaned real well and now it runs but seems stuck on SS med. Any thoughts?

Firepot thermocouple. Make sure it is touching the inside end of the cover. Also check that it is good. A continuity test will tell. kap