Mt Vernon Auger Feed Motor Makes Clunk - Click Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cparts

Aug 7, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Mt Vernon classic 2006 non-AE stove. New to this stove so I don't know what is a normal sound.

Been running for a month or so. Seems to feed pellets fine.

Makes a distinctive single clunk (maybe like a click) pretty regularly and then a turning noise is heard (slight and not as annoying as clunk). I think it happens each time the feed motor engages, but not 100% sure.

Is this normal for this stove?

Is there a fix for it?

Is it normally the the feed motor or Auger or something else?

A cheap fix would be helpful :)

I do not know about your stove but the Enviro stoves have a rubber bumper to stop the
noise on feed motor engagement . Maybe your stove should have one and it is missing

A clunk sound could be breaking a pellet, but the rest sounds like the auger motor is going South. No cheap fix. You can take a small mirror and flashlight and look up the drop chute, to see if there is any bridging going on with long pellets. They could be getting past the drop chute hole and jamming at top of auger. You could also pull the auger assy. and see if the set screw has loosened, causing the auger to make noise. kap