Mt Vernon Auger Motor "Clicking" On Low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDPVT

Sep 26, 2008
Vermont
I can hear a rapid "clicking" noise from the auger motor whenever stove is running on low. This noise stops when the hopper lid is lifted. Also stops if feed rate increases. Seems like a relay is not being held when voltage drops. The stove works perfectly but this clicking is annoying and although not loud, can be heard over the fan if I am near the stove. Anyone else notice this?

Unfortunately just about everyone with a Mt. Vernon AE knows about this. It is a problem with the auger that Quad has known about for quite some time. As you mentioned, when the feed rate gets above low or you open the hopper the ticking noise stops. You might want to go on record with your dealer in the event that Quad ever comes out with a replacement auger to fix this, at least it would be covered under warranty.

Mine does not click on any setting (maybe I should add "yet").

Yet would be right. I have had my AE for 3 years now. Just started making the noise. If and when the fix comes every dealer should be told to fix every AE they have out there, no questions.

Hmmm had not heard of this one yet. Good to know if it ever comes up. Also the reason it stops when the hopper is opened is because this stops the auger totally. If I had encountered this yet maybe I could figure out what exactly is making the noise, could be a few different parts actually making the clicking noise. Does it come from the left or right side of the stove?

It is definetely the auger motor, noise is from the right side of the stove. Can be felt by placing your hand on the auger motor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.