Mt Vernon Convection Blower Short Cycling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptillhka

Dec 4, 2009
Eastern Shore MD
I am experiencing short cycling of the convection blower on my Quadrafire Mt Vernon. The Mt Vernon is about 4 yrs old and works great until this year. The fire ignites, fire box warms up, and the convection blower comes on, but only runs for 20 or 30 seconds then shuts off. After about 10 or 15 seconds the convection blower comes back on. This short cycling continues, but the blower does seem to stay on longer, maybe 60 second intervals, once the unit gets really hot. Last year, once the convection blower kicked on, it stayed on until the room was heated to the desired temperature. The same thing happens in the cool down mode, convection blower comes on and off in 20 second intervals. I replaced the snap disc as recommended by the dealer but no luck. I've cleaned out the blower motor, evrything seems to be working fine except the shrot cycling of the convection system. Is there something else to try, could the control board be the cause? My dealer insists snap disc should fix the problem. Is it possible that I got a bad snap disc?

ptillhka said:
I am experiencing short cycling of the convection blower on my Quadrafire Mt Vernon. The Mt Vernon is about 4 yrs old and works great until this year. The fire ignites, fire box warms up, and the convection blower comes on, but only runs for 20 or 30 seconds then shuts off. After about 10 or 15 seconds the convection blower comes back on. This short cycling continues, but the blower does seem to stay on longer, maybe 60 second intervals, once the unit gets really hot. Last year, once the convection blower kicked on, it stayed on until the room was heated to the desired temperature. The same thing happens in the cool down mode, convection blower comes on and off in 20 second intervals. I replaced the snap disc as recommended by the dealer but no luck. I've cleaned out the blower motor, evrything seems to be working fine except the shrot cycling of the convection system. Is there something else to try, could the control board be the cause? My dealer insists snap disc should fix the problem. Is it possible that I got a bad snap disc?

While it is possible that you got a bad snap disc, I'd check to see if that blower motor needs periodic oiling.

It sounds like the thermal protection on the motor is cutting the motor off until it cools and then resetting.

ptillhka said:
Thanks Smokey. Do you know if there is an oil port at a specifc location on the motor assembly?

If the motor needs oil, there are usually two oil ports one on each end of the shaft. Sometimes there is a screw or plastic cap. You need to look over the motor to find out. Use only the oil specified for the motor. Sometimes you'll have trouble getting the correct oil, an auto supply store is more apt to have a good selection. Mine required SAE#20 now the blue and white canned 3 in 1 oil is in fact SAE#20 the common red and white can isn't.

If the bearings have gotten really gummed up you might have to free the motor bearings using a bit of WD-40 , do not squirt WD-40 into the oil ports while the motor is in the stove and the stove is on. It can cost you dearly.

Now this might not be the issue but it is easy enough to try.

I believe these motors are sealed bearings. Mt Vernon AE's were introduced in 2005 I believe, if it's older than
that its a non AE.

no pane said:
I believe these motors are sealed bearings. Mt Vernon AE's were introduced in 2005 I believe, if it's older than
that its a non AE.

Maybe, maybe not, which is why I told the OP to check. I've seen motors listed in manuals as being sealed bearings only to discover that the manual doesn't reflect the motor actually in the device.

It is common for the combustion fan motors to be sealed but the convection fan motors are a different matter.

If your Mt. Vernon has a rotary dial/switch with 4 positions and a reset button it is a regular Mt. Vernon. If your stove auto cleans the burnpot and has controls that you can adjust then you have a newer stove that is a AE model.

My stove will short cycle too if it is set on low and sometimes medium. This only happens 1 time and then it stays running. I think it may be a fine line for when the thermocouple senses enough heat and once thing are warmed up then the situation goes away.

Bkins

Just as Bkins has described, my MT Vernon is a non AE. I am pulling out the convection motor today and will apply some oil. I may even remove the thermo coupler and make sure it hasn't vibrated away from the burn pot. If that has happened and it doesn't get hot enough continually, I suppose that could cause the short cycling as well.. I'll let you all know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.