Mt vernon installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingteto

Mar 16, 2014
CT
Hi All,

I will install my Mt vernon insert into the gas fireplace opening.. As you can see the existing vent opening is kind low.. So is it OK to put the 90 elbow and exist out (option #1) .. OR as (option #2) I can put adapter then 90 elbow..
My questions:
1- Option # 2 is better for me but my concern is the 90 degree is touching the back shield of the stove (see pic).. Is that OK?
2- As you can see, the vertical run for the vent is too short is that OK for Mt vernon insert? I will exit from the existing opening as shown in the pic and extend the pipe horizontally 12 inches and put the cap.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• Pic1_1.png
    Pic1_1.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 170
  • vent1.JPG
    vent1.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Pic2_1.png
    Pic2_1.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 182
Should not hurt hitting the shield.I would be more concerned that the zero clearance gas box is rated for a pellet stove.

I am in the process of installing my new mt vernon ae insert and I require the configuration listed in the manual, two 45s to clear hopper and heat shield. Unfortunately I have found that in combination with a stove adapter that there is no space left between the vent and heat shield, and actually applies a lot of pressure on the heat shield. Am I doing something wrong. I am using the excel pellet 45s and adaptor

The install manual says the fireplace needs to be UL listed. I forget the exact testing specification but it is in there.

Find out what model your fireplace is and check the fireplace manual for the UL listed called out in the stove install manual.

I did the same thing with mine with no issues. Just need to follow the manual carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.