Mt Vernon noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
I cleaned my stove a couple of weeks ago. I removed the exhaust blower motor and replaced the gasket with the reuseable version. Tonite was the first fire of the year and on startup there was a low, loud rumbling noise - obviously some vibration from somewhere. Since the convection blower wasn't on yet it must have been the exhaust blower - did I overtighten? not tighten enough? Is there a trick to it I'm not aware of?

One of the reasons the stove companies use the litherm gaskets is they reduce noise. Its possible that the new reusable gasket is too stiff and some of the motors vibes are being amplified into the blower housing?

I just did this with mine, but haven't fired the stove yet. My father inlaw has and he hasn't said anything to me about any new noise (I put the gasket in for him). Might want to double check and tighten it down some more.

I also put a new reusable gasket on and wasn't sure how much to tighten. I snugged it down good but did not want to strip anything.

Rumbling is turbulence in the liner....using a hot pellet are ye?
Can you explain this a little more. I burn mostly MWP which I wouldn't consider to be a hot pellet. I don't burn on a high flame height setting and never go above medium on the heat output. I will check the ashpan and snug the nuts a little tighter but I don't want to strip anything or torque it out of alignment either

Wow. Ashpan wasn't fully seated. Nice call Smoke. I don't know if that will be the remedy and would still like to hear more about the turbulence thing but I will refrain from potentially overtightening my nuts for right now

Status
Not open for further replies.