Multi-Fuel pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zipetie

Aug 5, 2017
iowa
I have been looking through threads and you all seem like a good bunch and could maybe help me out.

Back story. I have been looking for a pellet stove for over a year. I would like to have a multi-fuel stove due to the fact I could be more self sufficient. The one thing I can not burn is corn due to allergies. I was thinking a soy pellet mixture. I don't need anything pretty or large as this will be a back-up in our basement room which is about 600 sq feet. You ask back-up for what when the power goes out (yes I will get a battery back-up) I don't want to run the generator all day just to keep us warm.

I was thinking this one
]United States Stove Company Multi-Fuel Corn/Pellet Stove with Legs .

Last edited:
Personally I am not a fan of US stoves (had one of their products)- I might suggest Drolet ( SBC is the parent company - as such there are a couple more lines of stoves available - these are Canadian made) Or Englander - made in the USA . Both have far superior customer service should the need arise.

I have no experience with it but I would look at the wiseway stove, it requires no electricity at all so no need for any electrical back up.

The Enviro M55 is overkill for 600 sq. but it sure puts out heat and can function weeks without cleaning.

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into them.

I looked at the wiseway stove. I am a little nervous as they are a new design and not a lot of people have tried them.

Wise way bought up by US stove - would avoid like the plague- as such support from us stove is zero. The developer of the stove was a good egg and bent over backwards for customers. US based and made at that time. I would highly doubt that the wiseway stove is made here any more - not US stoves style. Just a little history.
Just for grins might want to check out Liberty Rocket stoves- they have come up with a pellet fed version. A newer start up company. I just moved and left my faithful Englander NC 30 behind( woe is me ) No stove set up in new place - I have an interest in acquiring one of these perhaps for basement use ( my only choices at present are propane and electric for the whole place, $$$ouch.) Course there is the outdoor burner approach - but frankly I have been less than thrilled with the various units on the market, and the associated problems I read about on the forums.

The Enviro M55 is overkill for 600 sq. but it sure puts out heat and can function weeks without cleaning.
Basement room is 600 sq. ft ... not the house;) Not sure if we have had anyone try soy yet as a fuel ... keep us posted!

Did see one entry on soy ... residue seems to be an issue so cleaning is even a higher priority!

Basement room is 600 sq. ft ... not the house;) Not sure if we have had anyone try soy yet as a fuel ... keep us posted!

Did see one entry on soy ... residue seems to be an issue so cleaning is even a higher priority!

That's a good point about the soy. Maybe contact the manufacturer of whatever stove you want to get and ask them first if soy will be an issue to burn. The same for the exhaust pipes.

Well, after a few more "discussions" with dear hubby it looks like I am back to the drawing board a looking for a regular pellet stove.<insert picture of me running and screaming for the hills>.

Wise way bought up by US stove - would avoid like the plague- as such support from us stove is zero. The developer of the stove was a good egg and bent over backwards for customers. US based and made at that time. I would highly doubt that the wiseway stove is made here any more - not US stoves style. Just a little history.
Just for grins might want to check out Liberty Rocket stoves- they have come up with a pellet fed version. A newer start up company. I just moved and left my faithful Englander NC 30 behind( woe is me ) No stove set up in new place - I have an interest in acquiring one of these perhaps for basement use ( my only choices at present are propane and electric for the whole place, $$$ouch.) Course there is the outdoor burner approach - but frankly I have been less than thrilled with the various units on the market, and the associated problems I read about on the forums.

Well Iooked at the Liberty. Very interesting. I have toyed with the idea of rocket stoves, but don't have the time or the ability to do one.

The stove isnot in a horrible price range, but I am not usually an early adopter. We we thinking about having someone else install the stove for us, he does not like pellet stove at all (was still willing to install them for a price), not sure he would install this thing.

One nice thing about the rocket stove - no need to clean once a week and a more in-depth cleaning once a month if running 24/7 like most of the other conventional style pellet stoves available, and like the Wiseway- no ac/dc power needed unless powering any aux. fan for greater heat distribution.
no combustion blower or circuit boards, ect. to go south. No vested interest here just notes for ref.

Soy is very high oil and if could be burned in a deep well pot like a Santa Fe it may work if blended with pellets. I burned some beans in a Kernelburner boiler but the pot is underfed

Going on season 8 with my englander cpm. I'm heating a 2500 sq ft colonial to 70 all winter. My only problems have been operator error.