Musta been the weather???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Last couple of days my first fires of the day have seemed, well, just not right. Hard to get stack temps up, keep a fire lit without more air than usual. Second loads on a good bed of coals all went as they should. quick fire, good temps all around. I did a visual inspect of the chimney not more than 10 days ago and all looked good but this morning before I lit the stove I figured I'ld do my mid season cleaning alittle early. Contents of 6 feet of single wall pipe and 18 feet of 6inch by 6 inch clay liner where about what I would expect to get after a relativly warm fall and alot of cold starts. Nothing there to worry about with my setup as far as I am concerned. The only thing I see differant today from the last week is the weather. The temps have been hovering around 32° and the humidity was unusally high. The air was just "thick." We have a storm front moving into my neck of the woods and are expecting much colder temps and alott of snow. It has pushed the humidity out of here. First load today went off like it should. Last couple of days the smoke from a cold start would roll down the roof and just kinda lay near the ground. I guess I dont know what my point is but was wondering if anyone eles has ever experiensed this thick air syndrome?

Last couple of days the smoke from a cold start would roll down the roof and just kinda lay near the ground. I guess I dont know what my point is but was wondering if anyone eles has ever experiensed this thick air syndrome?

Certainly. For some folks in pollution prone areas, when this weather rolls in, they have to stop burning altogether.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.