My auger sounds bad, what gives (video inside)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jedirye

Sep 15, 2016
Florida
Stove: Breckwell SPC50 (newly installed (1 month give or take))

Just went to fire up the ol' pellet stove after barely using it and heard this noise. Emptied hopper, emptied burn pot, made sure it looked clean and free of debris. Thought something was blocking it or whatnot. Was able to freely move it again (little lever on back), so we loaded it back up and fired it up. After a couple minutes of use, heard this again. What gives, any idea?

Known problem,for that stove.Go ahead and run stove,may get better,may get worse.Call breckwell.Also,see the auger cleaning section of your manual,using vegetable oil.

Get a new auger motor. That grind/wine noise is the armature rubbing on the frame.

Last edited:
Stove: Breckwell SPC50 (newly installed (1 month give or take))

Just went to fire up the ol' pellet stove after barely using it and heard this noise. Emptied hopper, emptied burn pot, made sure it looked clean and free of debris. Thought something was blocking it or whatnot. Was able to freely move it again (little lever on back), so we loaded it back up and fired it up. After a couple minutes of use, heard this again. What gives, any idea?

I think you *might* (I'm not 100%) have a defective auger tube that is from the first run of the Breckwell SPC50 pellet stoves. I believe so because of the mounts circled in red below. I had a similar problem where the motor sounded like it was about to die pushing the pellets through. I got a replacement from Breckwell, and my resistance issues improved dramatically, the new one did not have the mounts shown.

It is also possible I am wrong and it might be the motor.

You may already be doing this, but try mostly filling an empty soup can with pellets. Pour a tsp. of vegetable oil in and then stir it around. Use these pellets when you start the stove to help lube up the auger. Also, my defective auger REALLY hated softwood pellets. It wasn't perfect my any means with hardwoods, but there was less resistance.

When I originally had problems, I spent some time working with the guy who originally designed and manufactured this stove. He was incredibly helpful, and worked with Breckwell to let them know that there were resistance issues with my stove, which was one of the first stoves made.

Once my stove ran correctly I adored it. Incredible amount of heat for the amount of pellets used, can be run for a month without cleaning, and uses around 39 watt hours of power(measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter). That is a very small amount of power.

I'd contact Breckwell if this continues.

upload_2017-11-17_21-14-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-17_21-13-52.png
    upload_2017-11-17_21-13-52.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Mt Bob
I think you *might* (I'm not 100%) have a defective auger tube that is from the first run of the Breckwell SPC50 pellet stoves. I believe so because of the mounts circled in red below. I had a similar problem where the motor sounded like it was about to die pushing the pellets through. I got a replacement from Breckwell, and my resistance issues improved dramatically, the new one did not have the mounts shown.

It is also possible I am wrong and it might be the motor.

You may already be doing this, but try mostly filling an empty soup can with pellets. Pour a tsp. of vegetable oil in and then stir it around. Use these pellets when you start the stove to help lube up the auger. Also, my defective auger REALLY hated softwood pellets. It wasn't perfect my any means with hardwoods, but there was less resistance.

When I originally had problems, I spent some time working with the guy who originally designed and manufactured this stove. He was incredibly helpful, and worked with Breckwell to let them know that there were resistance issues with my stove, which was one of the first stoves made.

Once my stove ran correctly I adored it. Incredible amount of heat for the amount of pellets used, can be run for a month without cleaning, and uses around 39 watt hours of power(measured with a Kill-a-Watt meter). That is a very small amount of power.

I'd contact Breckwell if this continues.

View attachment 215998
What is wrong with the feed tube?

I have this stove and wish I didn't. I must have the same or similar issue to yours. This is a dangerous stove. If the auger quits feeding for any reason the fire will burn back through the feed tube and ignite the pellets in the hopper. I have had this happen twice. Power goes out, no feed. Motor decouples from the auger, no feed. None of the safety sensors will do a thing to remedy the problem.

The torque of the feed auger is so high I wiped out three motors getting to here, just shelled the gears out. I can't keep the motor coupled to the auger if it runs, she feed auger jams. If the motor does not get wiped out the set screw is just not strong enough to keep the shaft from turning within the hole it fits into in the auger. I modified the mount by drilling a hole the size of the one in the hardened shaft of a quality feed motor and put a cotter pin in it, no joy, it shears easily. I may try a roll pin but the cross section is pretty small even though it is higher strength. I've given up on the stove twice only to go back and try to fix it. This last unsuccessful try I set up a test stand to feed pellets for days. I think part of the problem is the on and off and the static starting torque being too high. Continuous feed seems to work OK.

This stupid stove really needs a manual forward feed over ride to push the pellets out faster for starting and for shut down.