My Boiler Piping idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I spent some time drawing up a piping diagram for my Boiler setup. My EK0 and pressuirzed storage are already ordered and on their way so I am trying to develope my game plan. My boiler will be installed in an outbuilding and heating my house through a water to air heat exchanger. My storage tank temps may fall down when I travel for 3-5 days so I want to be able to manually bypass it if I need too and direct all the heat to the xchanger so I can quickly bring the house back up to temp. I have a propane furnace that I am currently heating with for backup.

Attachments

• IMG00169-20120302-1452.jpg
    IMG00169-20120302-1452.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 271
I think you need your boiler circ between your boiler and the thermistatic mixing valve. Most mixing valves like to have the water pulled through them.
You should be able to heat the top foot or so of your storage tank fairly fast. Will your piping to storage l be 1-1/4" ?

Huff

Hartkem, take a look at the Tarm Biomass PT3 diagram on page 21 of: http://www.woodboilers.com/admin/uploads/public/WoodBoilerPlumbingSchematic0111Web.pdf.
It is quite similiar to your diagram, and is what I am installing with a w/a hx like you. With it you can automate the bypass process, and the bypass plumbing is a little simpler. You can substitute the w/a hx for the loads in their schematic. (And you can leave out the ZV1 valve in their drawing.)

Mike

I will need to change the location of the circ pump. I will be using 1 1/4 thermopex from boiler to storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.