My Brass Flame Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Same on our 602. Most if not all of their later box stoves introduced a bit of secondary air via the door ports, right as the smoke and flame did a 180º turn around the front of the baffle.
true, but the 121 had a true secondary burn with intake air being preheated under the fire and exiting under the baffle. if you open the door real fast you can see the secondaries.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I keep a file in my pictures on my computer called Wood Stoves so had to go back and refresh my memory. When that front burn tube goes out there is no easy way to repair it except by cutting off the top of the stove and replacing it as you could see from the picture. Here is what I did to the second Brass Flame stove I fixed up in the picture called New Burn Tubes. I installed stainless steel burn tubes. I just checked my wood stove manual folder and did not see one for the Brass flame. If I remember correctly it was hard to find much info on this model of stove on the internet.

Don't remember much what I did with the top metal plate above the secondary burner but I usually use 1/4 metal and yes it will always help to put a ceramic blanket on top. I don't think I did on the stoves I worked on as I am still a work in progress myself. But it would be a good idea to put in a ceramic blanket to help the secondary air heat up faster and hotter.

Oh, I also had a third Brass Flame and not sure I shared it on this forum. It came complete with front Brass legs and blower and was in good condition. Just needed allot of cleaning and some paint. The fire was done in my photo program because it was to sunny outside to get a good picture. But it did produce a very nice fire. And yes when I advertised the stove I told them the fire was fake, ha.

View attachment 303528 View attachment 303533 View attachment 303535
Hi and good evening. I have a question about the brass flame stove. I had one that was sold along with a property I had. I really knew nothing about these stoves when I found it. I’ve grown up with wood heat and had my share of wood stoves. This one was hands down the most efficient stove I’ve ever had. Fast forward to now and I’ve had remorse from seeing that one go with the house. I found another one and I am getting photos from the seller who is quite a distance from me. He said the stove was missing or needing some new bricks which is no problem. Looking at a video he sent of the fire box I can see a partial brick on the right rear back wall. The intake holes are in the middle. There are two tabs welded to the back wall on either side of the three holes. I also saw these in the pictures of your stove rebuild. I have to believe that there is no brick in the hole area on that back wall. I read your post on your rebuild and saw the tubes you installed at the location of the intake holes. I’m 99 percent sure there is no brick in front of that intake area. Any info would be great. I remember when I first fired up my other brass flame, it lacked in draw. I opened the damper fully and went under the stove with a little smoking stick. Front intake drew hard and rear had zero draw. I took it outside and used an air compressor to blow up thru the rear damper. It was an ash plume and looked like my property was on fire. Turns out what happens is ash gets into those intake holes and eventually plugs it up. After that I had the same flame shooting result that you had with yours. Story to get off track and I believe this new stove is in good shape. Baffles are straight and no sign of damage on that back wall. Secondary burn tubes look good. I did notice on your photos that the secondary square tubing ran down both sides and across the back. This stove doesn’t appear to have the tube section across the back. My other stove had them on the sides and across the front above the door? This is very odd as it would seem the stove’s would have all been built exactly the same and standardized. Any info or thoughts on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am trying to picture what you are saying about the BrassFlame you are looking at. Some don't have the tube on the top back but a double wall for the air to pass through but still have the side tubes coming out of the back wall and the tube still on the front. And if the stove has the front tube they almost always split out on the back side or ready to split out which is difficult to see from a picture or video.
Sometimes the back wall on the top has secondary air holes drilled in a row across the topside. Check the video again and see if you can see them. But some pictures would be helpful.
I am sending this picture again to show you what I am talking about. Those holes on the top back wall are original.

And yes, the bricks go on the sides of the holes so the tabs can hold them in place. The first BrassFlame I repaired had allot of ashes in the primary and secondary air intake on the bottom of the stove. To avoid the mess of ashes flying everywhere I hosed it with water before I started rebuilding it.

image_67159809.JPG

I am trying to picture what you are saying about the BrassFlame you are looking at. Some don't have the tube on the top back but a double wall for the air to pass through but still have the side tubes coming out of the back wall and the tube still on the front. And if the stove has the front tube they almost always split out on the back side or ready to split out which is difficult to see from a picture or video.
Sometimes the back wall on the top has secondary air holes drilled in a row across the topside. Check the video again and see if you can see them. But some pictures would be helpful.
I am sending this picture again to show you what I am talking about. Those holes on the top back wall are original.

And yes, the bricks go on the sides of the holes so the tabs can hold them in place. The first BrassFlame I repaired had allot of ashes in the primary and secondary air intake on the bottom of the stove. To avoid the mess of ashes flying everywhere I hosed it with water before I started rebuilding it.

View attachment 325545
Thanks for the reply and info. In the video he sent I can’t see any small holes in the upper back wall. It’s pretty crusty in there and they may be covered with ash and scale. Good to know some had secondary tune in the back and some did not. This one and my last one did not. Sounds like the biggest concern would be that tube above the door in front. I am 12 hours from where this new stove is located and I don’t think the owner is up for trying to get pictures inside the box if the front tube. You said it would split if it hasn’t already. I really want this stove but don’t have a shop to potentially repair it. Not sure it’s worth the drive at this point and maybe just need to look for something newer and closer to home. These brass flames are getting harder to find for sure.

I would suggest looking at some other wood stoves close to home. I know how it is hard to part with old friends but there are some other nice used stoves on the market. I have rebuilt three Brass Flames and that tube on the front next to the window is welded in place. It is a major job to replace it. There are several nice used wood stoves with glass windows and secondary burners (some with replaceable tubes) that will work just as well if not better than the BrassFlame. I would keep an eye on Marketplace and Craigslist in your area. Just makes sure the wood stove is the right size for you sq. footage.

I would suggest looking at some other wood stoves close to home. I know how it is hard to part with old friends but there are some other nice used stoves on the market. I have rebuilt three Brass Flames and that tube on the front next to the window is welded in place. It is a major job to replace it. There are several nice used wood stoves with glass windows and secondary burners (some with replaceable tubes) that will work just as well if not better than the BrassFlame. I would keep an eye on Marketplace and Craigslist in your area. Just makes sure the wood stove is the right size for you sq. footage.
Thanks for all the good info again. My gut feeling was telling me to just move on to something different. As you said there are many other options and just a or more efficient. If I had a fabrication shop I wouldn’t be so hesitant as I have the skills to do the repair. Thanks again for all the good advice! Dana