My drying results.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
I thought Iwould post my results from my wood drying so those who hear 3 years are not discouraged. I do live on sc keep on mind and none of this will be needed for another 4 months. We also have had an unseasonable amount of rain, and the oak pieceo wood was on the bottom of pile.

I tested a piece of hickory that has been CSS for about 14 months or more. Also some really an white oak that has been CSS for a bit over a year.

I was moving the wood into the she for his winter an decided to test some obit. The hickory was a medium slit hecke on a fresh surface.

The hickory was about 20-22% and oak was 30% ish but I did have one slit about 2 months ago right at 20%. Buy again I do have several months to still dry in the hottest art o he year. Bit all is burnable!

Attachments

• IMG_20130616_135600.jpg
    IMG_20130616_135600.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20130616_135728.jpg
    IMG_20130616_135728.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 104
Consistent with what you expected?

Sound about right to me, longer warm weather , hotter average temps
The oak may be ready for you in 2 years :)
Though 3 year + seasoned wood is mighty good stuff !

Yea what i expected, actually surprised by the hickory!! IT was really heavy and did not feel as dry or look that dry. It should be close to 18% by burn time this year.

The Oak may have not have been very dry for several reasons, but i pulled a piece off the top of the stack a few months back and it read right at 20% as well?? There was a few differnt trees that the oak was from, and the largest tree was the one that seemed to be the driest, but its hard to tell it all once spit and mixed up in a .4 cord pile.

Thanks Clemson, Ive never burned much Oak before. Just what has come to me in dealer cords. And Ive never used a MM, when I used to take furniture classes moisture meters were in the 300.00 range. I bought my sister a cheap one for Christmas because she buys all her wood.
I have been hunting Oak out in the woods and have had a problem with my Chestnut Oaks dying. I have processed several trees that have been dead for quite some time and Im curious what amount of water they hold. The sapwood on some of these trees are completely missing.
Maybe I should do a similar test?

Different woods from different parts of dead trees will vary greatly in moisture content. Thats why having the moisture meter is nice. Then again you could just stack it all in a sunny windy spot for 2-3 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.