My favorite fireplace poker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
I have tried traditional fireplace pokers with the hook and spike on the end, but found them clumsy. What I needed was something that would easily push or pull the logs around in the firebox of my woodstove. What ended up working best is a cheap garden hoe with the handle cut to a comfortable length. This tool allows me to move logs in the firebox easily. It is also handy for pushing the coals around in the morning to get the fire going again. As a bonus, it is a very cheap tool. I remember buying this hoe for under $10 a few years ago.

P1040559.jpg

My grandfather used to use the same thing in his old cast iron stove back in the 70s. That thing was every bit of 3 feet long and got so hot it turned red trying to fight off the winter (the stove, not the hoe). He'd rebuild the handle every few years out of oak branches. Gave it a unique look, but it caught fire constantly. It worked well though. Thanks for the memory.

To rake coals forward in my deep Big Moe, I used a length of rigid copper pipe. I smashed one end flat and bent it over 90 degrees. It is still the stove tool I use more than anything else.

My little hoe type of job is all metal and I will take a picture of it...So maybe you could could turn a hoe into a all metal one...also memories are nice when it involves grand fathers--lol clancey

Little Hoe type for wood burning 002.JPG

Reactions: GadDummit
I use a wrought iron variant of the OP's hoe, one for each stove. Mine is 21 inches long, but looks identical to this 24" mode from Woodmans:

This tool is perfect for daily reloads, plowing fine ash down and to the back, which causes the hot coals to naturally raise to the surface. I plow the ash down and back, and then gingerly drag the coals to the front. Can't imagine doing this job more effectively with any other tool.

Woodman's does show a 21" tool on their site, but I can't vouch for it, the construction is slightly different than mine or their 24" model.

I made my own Nov. 2014 when I had my 30-NCH installed and up and running. 3/8" rebar, 1"x3" flat bar, 1/2" square tubing for the handle. Cheap and easy:

qyYh1t9.jpg

Tf6WaVO.jpg

My favorite one was the handle from a stove shovel, after the scoop had broken off. I usually used it to leverage up the logs and pull them forward to rest on the door ledge, so they could get air under them. Or poke a piece of broken fire brick under them.

My rake and shovel.

04D9E49F-91D6-44A6-AFDC-51565C9EDA6F.jpeg

… and yeah, that’s a BK running on high.

Reactions: thewoodlands