My first hearth....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

artistwantab

Oct 31, 2022
California
Hey everyone!

Glad I found this. I am considering building my first hearth. I have done brick and concrete work before but never anything as extensive as a hearth.

I am building an off grid home and would like to tackle most of the build myself.

First...knowledge

Do you have any recommendations for books, websites or other involving the construction of a hearth.

Second....

Are there hearth engineers - someone who will design the hearth and give me a set of plans to submit to the city

Third....

For you professionals... If I reached out to a local mason do you think he would entertain the idea of simply overseeing the project (paying for his time of course)

Last edited:
I’d figure out what stove I want first. Different stoves require different hearths. Some only require ember protection, which is a piece of sheet metal in my case.

You are talking about a hearth for a freestanding stove correct?

First, has the stove been picked out? The manual will have the heart requirement minimums. There's no harm in exceeding these minimums.

I am so sorry. I have watched a ton a of videos on youtube and while most referred to fireplaces as fireplaces and the smoke stack as a chimney. One youtuber referred to the whole unit as a hearth so I assumed that was the correct name,

I need information about building a custom fireplace.

Sorry.

Ah, that is more of a question for a masonry forum.
If the goal is to build a masonry heater, then this site has some good connections
Fireplaces are poor sources of heat. Will this just be for visuals with something else as the primary source of heat? Or are you in southern CA and don't really need heat most of the time?

Last edited:
The property in northern California but the coldest it gets is high 30's at night. I didn't know they aren't a great source of heat.

Yes I will have heated floors and central heating.

I like the look and thought it would at least heat the living room a bit.

One option, that will heat the place well, is to install a good EPA fireplace. This will provide a nice fire view and a lot more heat. They get framed in and chased. After that the fireplace can be encased in a stone or brick veneer for a great look.
There are several good manufacturers. Here is one to look at to see if this is of interest.

A “grate wall of fire“ grate with a fireback will make your fireplace a lot more efficient but not as good as a stove, I have both because sometimes you just want to enjoy an open fire. Take a look at the “grate wall of fire” grate.

Thank you!

This is exactly the information I need. Still hoping to get some insight on the engineering.

Every book I can find on Fireplace design is from the 80's.