My Humidifier is smoking!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
So I'm sitting here enjoying the stove and watching TV and I hear some popping. It came and went and then I smelt something funny like an electical fire. I look at the humidifier and I see what I thought was steam coming out of the vent. A closer look and it turned out to be smoke. YIKES, I unplugged it picked up the main part and it had brown crud coming out of it. Not sure what this was but the sucker is out on the back lawn resting in snow.

I can't imagine what whould have happened if this happened overnight! Oh well, I've been waiting for an excuse to get a Venta Airwasher anyway :)

good thing you caught it.

Just a matter of time for many of our electrical devices.

I was at a family friends house one time and we all just walked outside with our dinner plates full for a picnic. We weren't outside for 1 minute before my pal went back to when he saw that his guest (me) was sitting there without an icy cold beer! In that 1 minute time, his living room and kitchen were completely filled with smoke. The wainscoting and molding and chair rail in his living room were completely charred from a surge protector that had gone south that quickly.

Very scary. They would have even had a mess had they been sleeping! We look back and thank our friends at the Yuengling Brewing Co for saving his home :)

pen

pen said:
good thing you caught it.

Just a matter of time for many of our electrical devices.

I was at a family friends house one time and we all just walked outside with our dinner plates full for a picnic. We weren't outside for 1 minute before my pal went back to when he saw that his guest (me) was sitting there without an icy cold beer! In that 1 minute time, his living room and kitchen were completely filled with smoke. The wainscoting and molding and chair rail in his living room were completely charred from a surge protector that had gone south that quickly.

Very scary. They would have even had a mess had they been sleeping! We look back and thank our friends at the Yuengling Brewing Co for saving his home :)

pen

Just makes you wonder how many close calls there really are. One good thing about where this humidify was positoned was not near anything other than about 6" away from a wall sitting on a base box speaker. Now I have to remind my wife and girls to unplug their curling irons when they are done using them!

Do your homework on the humidifier you mentioned as it seems to have some bad reviews

What kind of humidifier was it?

Chris

DuraCraft DH-902 or 904. It's about 10 years old. Used it frequently in years 1 through 3 and then put away in closet. Plugged it in recently because of new stove and it was working normal for about a week before it started to burn up. Too old to bring back to manufacturer.

Just replaced it with a Veta-Airwasher LW44.

Status
Not open for further replies.