My install.. in progress!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I’m finally getting to this. The threads and photos of installs being done over the years since I joined have helped me burn safe, and keep my friends and I safe when I see something wrong.

So, to return the favor I’ll share my simple install.

25 feet of SS flex liner. Insulation is not required in my install, but because of what I read here, I’m doing it anyway.

First, bye bye propane fireplace.

c4c572eb7c6e4c5d22d4d4d1d5f29625.jpg

5239395b00bca5423ef91092f71b1a2e.jpg

I thought about having the local stove shop come out and cut the damper out for me, just because it’s a huge pain in the rear. They quoted me 750 bucks for the labor.

Thanks to bholler, I used a sawzall with the blades he recommended. Fried about 4 blades, and got filthy but I was able to cut out the damper, and burn tubes.

4ed940d56eeb77e05cc90aee6293e296.jpg

c0bd389c1803756d4975348e0df35aff.jpg

A few weeks later my insulation kit arrived. It’s really self explanatory and Rockford chimney supply has a step by step video on YouTube.

This, was a pain in the rear. Got it done, but it took all of an hour or more to do. Maybe I’m too particular but I made sure it overlapped just as the instructions called for.

372043d4d3c741c1890fd0de70c50abb.jpg

ce3d75e36cf82896aaed5bdcc359fe43.jpg

Lastly.. the supervisor watched the entire thing

91218ffb0f9baf10fe159ecc690045c2.jpg

I had thoughts of trying to put the liner in the chimney myself, but decided against it. Saturday, my brother will be here and we’ll fish it down, and hook the stove up.

A quick question, I plan to use left over liner insulation for a soft block off plate. I have metal mesh and insulation.

a66658f022c6d92afd68dcc74d70ec5c.jpg

Can the “silver part” facing come in direct contact with the liner? (My gut says no) Or should I cut it a few inches and only allow the insulation to touch?

I plan to use the left over liner mesh to hold the the block off plate in place, and seal the edges with furnace cement. Believe it or not, the silver facing in the insulation is pretty rigid.

More to come!

I'm about to install my wood burner as well (after years of planning and anticipation). Hope the rest of your install goes well!

I really think you will need to make a block off plate out of sheet metal.

What stove are you installing? Good, get rid of that propane! Those things are such a waste of money.
Having a second person around to help with the liner install is a good idea. I had a little help but it was one of my kids so I had to run up and down the 12 pitch roof about 5 times.
I didn't use the insulation and Im glad I didn't because it wouldn't fit in there without removing the clay liners from the chimney which I did not want to do.
Even without the insulation it drafts excellent. My liner length is about 20' from the top of the stove.

If I go that route,

What gauge? Stainless or?

I’ve never bought sheet metal..

Homedepot sell 2x3 sheets of sheetmetal, thin stuff not thick, easier to bend

Reactions: webby3650
Just a piece of 26 gauge sheet metal works fine. No need for Stainless. You can either use roxul or the left over liner insulatio on top of it.

Reactions: Dustin
Nice job doing it yourself. Everything looks great from your start to finish. On my install I packed Roxul in there and it seemed ok but after 3 years I pulled my insert out and went with a real blockoff plate and feel much better about that. I know your excited to get your woodburning started but go ahead at this point of it and do the blockoff plate then you can sit back and enjoy your time and investment this winter.
73's W4MJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I’m convinced, I’ll make a rigid block off plate.

Another question, can I use the left over foil tape that was sent with my liner insulation kit to seal the block off plate edges? It will
Also be secured with screws of course.

The rating I’m finding on HVAC tape says 350 degrees, ish.

I would use plain silicone to seal the flange of the block-off plate to the brick and nothing around the liner if there is roxul packed around the liner above the plate. If the gap is large maybe use some stove door gasket there?

This has worked out good for me. Has a thick layer of Roxul above blockoff plate.

Attachments

• Photo-0152.jpg
    Photo-0152.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 321
Well, it’s done! And I’m pretty happy with it so far. Not super cold here but mornings are dipping down into the 40’s.

So yeah, I’ll fire it up!

Please excuse the awesome landscaping blocks I used to level the stove. Works awesome! But they’re ugly..

Oh, here’s some photos... When you have a brother that can basically lift the stove by himself.....

4d0d1c17fd579abcdd845605383a21c4.jpg

Went down way easier then I thought..

37aab1c7c0f879eac619d81144730d83.jpg

Finally, all hooked up and burning.

aedcc83b9249a68a44ab95368d875c82.jpg 949e42b69137facb45240eb5d6f50d3a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, your brother reminds me of a fellow I used to know back east. He could have a VW engine out in about 15 minutes, without using a jack.

The stove looks great. Maybe just paint the pavers black to hide them.

Looks like it's time to update the signature line to include this beauty.

Last edited:
Well, it’s done! And I’m pretty happy with it so far. Not super cold here but mornings are dipping down into the 40’s.

So yeah, I’ll fire it up!

Please excuse the awesome landscaping blocks I used to level the stove. Works awesome! But they’re ugly..

Oh, here’s some photos... When you have a brother that can basically lift the stove by himself.....

View attachment 201079

Went down way easier then I thought..

View attachment 201080

Finally, all hooked up and burning.

View attachment 201081 View attachment 201082

Man that thing is something purdy!

Looks great. What was the size of the clay tiles you went down?

What a great job. I like that stove. Bring it on old man winter.:)

Looks great for sure! Wish i could fit a stove.

That looks like a 12x12 clay tile, 2 bricks in a row measure around 16", i had 2 8x8s side by side and theres no way i could have fit an insulated 6" liner down one of them!

Last edited:
Looks great for sure! Wish i could fit a stove.

That looks like a 12x12 clay tile, 2 bricks in a row measure around 16", i had 2 8x8s side by side and theres no way i could have fit an insulated 6" liner down one of them!

You’re right, that’s my bad.

Thats a good looking stove! You will enjoy it for years to come.

Thanks all!

So, this quadrafire Yosemite is a new beast to me.

It appears the entire stove is wrapped in this enamel heat shield. During the burn the sides don’t heat up much.

This begs the question, where in the world to I put the thermo? Anyone have one of these? Thoughts?

I’ve tried the usual spots and I’m not real happy with the readings

The Yosemite is a cast iron jacketed steel stove. The stove top may be the best location, but you'll need to consider that the actual firebox top is hotter.