my mistake - a narrow hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassflyguy

May 13, 2009
southern ontario
my first post relates to a home reno error ie i put in a new wood floor & a narrow 22 inch hearth before selecting a fireplace insert .

i need to find a relatively flush mounting insert (like the small regency) that will leave me with 18 inches of stone hearth in front of

the insert's glass door and loads 13 to 14 inch pieces of wood like a cigarette box front to back (unlike the small regency). my fireplace is 27 inches wide and has good

depth & height. an insert that does not protrude too much yet loads lengthwise is the solution i can't find at my local stove shop.

an unit that is available in canada or new york state would be appreciated !

fellow hearth folks, i leave the fate of my domestic life in your hands.

many thanks

bassflyguy said:
my first post relates to a home reno error ie i put in a new wood floor & a narrow 22 inch hearth before selecting a fireplace insert .

i need to find a relatively flush mounting insert (like the small regency) that will leave me with 18 inches of stone hearth in front of

the insert's glass door and loads 13 to 14 inch pieces of wood like a cigarette box front to back (unlike the small regency). my fireplace is 27 inches wide and has good

depth & height. an insert that does not protrude too much yet loads lengthwise is the solution i can't find at my local stove shop.

an unit that is available in canada or new york state would be appreciated !

fellow hearth folks, i leave the fate of my domestic life in your hands.

many thanks

It's not clear to me why you're looking exclusively for a North-South (front to back) loading appliance. When you say "good depth and height", what are those numbers? Tell us the three dimensions of the available space for the appliance and some insert-smart folks here may be able to steer you in some direction. A pic of the fireplace would be a real help. Good luck! Rick

fossil , thanks for trying to solve my narrow hearth related insert problem.

i would like a front to back or north/south loading insert for ease of firing (had a bad experience with a shallow side to side or east/west insert).

the fireplace will take an insert that is 27 inches wide at the front (24 inches at the back) by 27 inches high and 22 inches deep.

basically i would like to find an insert that fits as flush as the small regency BUT has more depth.

Is this a masonry fireplace or a pre-fab? The narrow front width just excludes the Lopi Declaration unless there is some current glass door trim that could be removed. Otherwise, the Quad 2700i might squeak in. If you could post a picture that would help.

The alternative is to extend the hearth a bit at floor level. This can be done quite tastefully.

Lopi Answer should meet your target, but you are not going to get the North to South Loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.