My new log rack.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That style looks really nice Robbie. I wanted that style but needed something large yet. I ended up going the the log rack that hooks to 2x4's . I run two sets on the side porch and the racks are about the same style on the end but not as fancy and the 2x4's are 10' long . So when we load the side porch we really load it . That little one looks great too if one had the room for it or even a hearth to put it .

Roospike said:
That style looks really nice Robbie. I wanted that style but needed something large yet. I ended up going the the log rack that hooks to 2x4's . I run two sets on the side porch and the racks are about the same style on the end but not as fancy and the 2x4's are 10' long . So when we load the side porch we really load it . That little one looks great too if one had the room for it or even a hearth to put it .

I know the style ya have Spike. A few years ago I went into Lowe's for a lawn mower wheel. They had the 2X4 style rack ends on close-out for five bucks a set. I bought all seven sets.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

I know the style ya have Spike. A few years ago I went into Lowe's for a lawn mower wheel. They had the 2X4 style rack ends on close-out for five bucks a set. I bought all seven sets.
Yeppers , them there are the ones ole buddy. Thats when i bought my log rack ends too . I own a fabrication shop and couldnt build them for that cheap ......... so i bought two sets . The 2x4's is what is going to cost you. I have four 2x4 x 10 footers over head in the shop. Again , these are not as fancy but i didnt really need fancy on the side porch . When the weather warms up in the late winter / spring i always hit the BBS and farm stores to hapl "clean up" .

Man I hope the girlfriend doesn't see those. She's been begging for a nicer looking wood rack and i know she'll be hounding me for one of them! They sure are nice looking though.

Corie said:
Man I hope the girlfriend doesn't see those. She's been begging for a nicer looking wood rack and i know she'll be hounding me for one of them! They sure are nice looking though.
Corie ,Corie,Corie... There not on sale now so.............. you have to "fabricate" a nice log rack . You know the rules ........ you cant buy if you can fabricate . Make sure you post pictures when you are finished , I'm looking for ideas to scab off of you .

I use the front porch chair, love seat, two person sitting thing, whatever it's called (I'm sure my wife has a fancy name for it). Anyways, it goes from the front porch to the back deck in the fall for winter storage. The roof has an overhang in that area so it's a perfect spot for ready for use wood. Right next to the sliding glass door, and 10 feet from the fireplace.

I'm sure the wife hates what I use it for, but oh well. KD

In attached garage, we use the same plastic ones with 12 ft of 2x4 on the bottom 4' on the sides for the big stuff, then I cobbed together some pieces of old maple flooring between wall on one side for the half inch to 3 inch stuff for kindling..

For my birthday last year, the Mrs. surprised me with a custom designed & fabricated aluminum kindling box that goes near the stove..

Vintage 181 said:
In attached garage, we use the same plastic ones with 12 ft of 2x4 on the bottom 4' on the sides for the big stuff, then I cobbed together some pieces of old maple flooring between wall on one side for the half inch to 3 inch stuff for kindling..

For my birthday last year, the Mrs. surprised me with a custom designed & fabricated aluminum kindling box that goes near the stove..

Plastic? Plastic!

Congrats on the kindling box. When they buy ya wood burning stuff, ya got it made. And custom made is golden.

I wanted to make my own too, but I was afraid I might not get around to it before cold weather.

These racks seem to be made plenty good enough to last for many years. Last winter I used our swing and love seat to stack wood on...........my wife was not too happy about that.

Robbie

"Last winter I used our swing and love seat to stack wood on...........my wife was not too happy about that. "

You are a true wood burner Robbie.

I would like to think I am a true wood burner..................after I assembled the rack, I told my wife I expected that wood rack to be filled by early fall............she laughed and mumbled something about my dreams. :coolsmile:

Robbie

Robbie said:
I would like to think I am a true wood burner..................after I assembled the rack, I told my wife I expected that wood rack to be filled by early fall............she laughed and mumbled something about my dreams. :coolsmile:

Robbie
Ha ............... There you go Mr big wood burner ,You told her . ( yeah , right )

BrotherBart said:
Vintage 181 said:

Plastic? Plastic!

Congrats on the kindling box. When they buy ya wood burning stuff, ya got it made. And custom made is golden.

You got metal ones for 5 bucks a set? That is a smoking deal..good for you....i am jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.