My recent wood trips.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
1214121711a.jpg1228120834a.jpg1228121037a.jpg1228121037b.jpg1228121159b.jpg1228121202a.jpg The first is a load of pine that I got from my wood cutting partner/cowoker, that doesn't want "to burn pine in his stuff". So he asked if I wanted it and I said sure. He had it professionally cut in his yard, and then he or they bucked it and rolled it down the hill. All we had to do was pull his splitter in place and split it and then I loaded it up the next day. I still have almost this much left.

The next pics are from my trip to get wood from one of my loggers. Our friend said that she and her parents needed some "green" wood, that they had plenty dry but needed green. So I said I ll get some when I can. So my logger told me he would give me all I could haul. I hauled 3 loads, the third and 4th pics are the same load, this should give her a load me a load and her parents a load. I got their business dump truck and went at it. Got three loads in all, I figure 6-8 cords but think closer to 7 but not sure..guesses? The wood was cut the day before I hauled it and we have had a good bit of rain recently. These trees were actually dripping water as they were sitting on the truck. I have not seen this in a year at least.. and for those of you that have not read my posts in the past I am a forester and handle logging as my primary duty!! Pine yes but have not seen dripping hardwood in a while..esp in DECEMBER I think ever!! They split some 2 days after I delivered it and burned it that very same night, which was yesterday(wood was cut Thursday)!! Cant tell those people any different, but they are burning in an old Craft smoke dragon.

"They split some 2 days after I delivered it and burned it that very same night, "

Can only explain it to those who want to learn ;)

Serious amount of fire wood in 3 dump truck loads :)
The cut & split pine looks like a nice load too.

Sugar maple will drip like crazy when cut a day or two

so will oak. Log trailers full of hardwood will be just dripping with water, this is usually all species around here, oak, elm, sweetgum, maple, hickory, poplar. The trailers are wet and will leave we spots if sitting in one spot on the pavement or dirt. BUT due to it being droughty here the last few summers, which is the most common time to see it, I have not seen it. That's not to say that it has not done it, as hardwood is often left to lay in my sales for a week or 2 till hauled so it wont do it at that point, but it does not always lay that long and I have not seen it in a while but I also don't look for it either?

Wow:eek:! I've got to make connections like that. The fun I could have with loads like that! Am I a sick man for thinking like that about wood:p ????

ive got the wood , she has the truck! haha.

How did that little dump handle that load of wood?

Very nice, you totally scored!

Someday I hope to haul loads like that with my project truck... I just need to find a source of wood like that!

the first load I had to get up in the bed to cut 4 huge rounds off, that were close to 100lbs a piece and roll them to the very back before it would dump. That second load I had to cut some about a 3ft piece off of the last log loaded and shift to the back before It would dump ( I tested the bed that time cause It looked so big, but I had it loaded more rear heavy so it would dump. But that last log was too much but I knew that and I just figured Id cut it out if need be and I had to cut the front half off that last log like I said). The last load it dumped fine as it was the lightest and was loaded more toward the rear.

That 2nd load with the pink ribbon on it was really heavy and wanted to sway bad, I could not go over 50mph and stay in control. The first load was about 55mph tops to safely handle it and the last load other than the weight it drove fine.

This is the easiest way to get wood...have a logger buck it up for you and load into the dump bed with the loader then you dump it in your yard and CSS.

I just clicked the pics to blow them up and they must have loaded semi-corrupt or something? Some of them are half whited out when I go to view them, are they doing that for everyone? If so and you want me to I can reload them if you want to see them bigger.

that ford is sitting lovely on the first pic. nicely done. that will surely give some nice heat.

here is the next load of pine out of my buddies yard. I think there is about enough wood left to fill the truck bed of the ranger one more time.

Sorry for the picture being all washed out.0104131417a.jpg

Thatd keep you warm for some time. I love American trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.