my regency ci2600 isnt getting enough air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtrocket

Dec 20, 2015
Ontario, Canada
hello folks, just joined the hearth fourm ...

So i just had first fire yesterday.
i have the cat bypass open at top and primary air damper open, still not enough air getting into unit, its burning like i had the air cut off for a real slow night burn. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
dave

Greetings. Tell us a bit about the installation and the wood being burned. Is the insert connected to a full, 6", stainless chimney liner? How tall is the liner? When was the wood split and stacked or purchased?

hello, the stainless chimney liner for this particular unit is 5.5".
the height is around 13', not super high i know.
the wood is ash, its dry my dad burns it and he said its ok.
also its easy to tell is slow burning because even dry 2x4 cutoffs are burning really slow.

thanks

Methinks the insert needs more flue height, perhaps as much as another 4-5ft.

Methinks the insert needs more flue height, perhaps as much as another 4-5ft.

hmmmm. you think eh... that isnt great news. i would of thought with a chimney liner etc and a sealed unit chimney height would be as important.
how to increase height the liner cap is screwed down to the clay flew etc...

does anyone know how the ci2600 gets air and or how the primary air damper works i cant see the mechanical function, just the arm going into the unit.

thanks

These units are tested with 16 ft of 6" round liner. The added length is to compensate for the 5'5 liner.

I am pretty sure the height when regency says you can go down to 5.5 on this unit is 25' most of their other stuff is 20'. I would have to call them to be sure but it was definatly designed for 6" unless the chimney is really tall.

ok, they sold the unit w/ 5.5" liner and that is what its spec'd for no?

how am i to increase the chimney height?
No this insert is specced for 6" liner. The chimney can be extended by a short rigid liner section or by bolting an adapter plate to the top that allows a transition to 6" class A chimney pipe. The latter is the best. Or a mason can extend the chimney and the liner spliced to extend it to the new height.

Thanks for the helpfull replys....

I'm curious why a regency dealer would tell me I needed 5.5 liner kit etc....

What is the better route to take. Liner or extend chimney..

I could put an extension on top of brick chimney, it was originally build for a fireplace.... but that probably would lok very good... maybe have it bricked up in the spring.... or. Call place that sold me unit and groan at em for a new liner kit... they r like $700 here in canada....

What do you guys think?

you would have to ask them that.

I will be calling them tomorrow, I just looked in product brochure and it says 6". The person that sold unit obviously screwed up... but will .5" really make that much of a difference I'm wondering... im really leaning towards extending chimney somehow. ..

yes it can make a big difference. It works out to about a 16% decrease in volulme

You're such a friendly looking fellow I don't see why they wouldn't? Jk'ing around. I'd be choked too and want some answers as to why they would recommend the improper liner? Just another example of so called 'pros' not knowing Jack about what they're actually selling.

Lol. No offense meant.

Maybe 6" wouldn't fit. What is the ID of the clay liner? Are there tight turns in the chimney?

Early units of this insert had issues with poor burn times as a result of too much air. Later they started shipping them with a reducer plate covering the boost air inlet in the middle in front. You might check to see if that's in place on your insert and try removing it.

I installed it. The ID of clay liners 16" huge. . Was an old fireplace. No bends.
There's no excuse for not providing you with the correct liner. Insulating the liner will help it draft a bit better. If you put in a new 6" liner, don't trim it at first. Leave it long without the cap and try the insert that way to see if it performs better.

I would also check the air hole inside the fire box. The insert should come with a metal plate that can be removed, it makes the hole smaller so less air comes in. Just loosen the bolts and the flat plate should slide out.

Early units of this insert had issues with poor burn times as a result of too much air. Later they started shipping them with a reducer plate covering the boost air inlet in the middle in front. You might check to see if that's in place on your insert and try removing it.
Sorry did not see your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.