My Seefire Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
I picked up another stove last week. It is a Seefire 1600S which was made in Victoria Canada in 1988. I have read the other topics on this forum about this stove but this one appears to be a little older than the ones mentioned. This model still has the secondary air system with the full bricks on sides, floor and ceiling. I also downloaded the manual for this model which was very helpful. The claim that it burns smokeless when it heats up which I hope is true. This stove is in amazing condition considering its age. I don’t see any signs of it being overfired and the top metal plate is still in good shape with slight warpage.
The name of this stove is interesting as they claim if the stove is used correctly the window will stay clear thus the name Seefire. The primary air comes down over the window and the secondary air through the tube in the top middle of the stove which has air holes on each side. You don’t leave the door cracked open to get the fire started. It is supposed to be fully closed with the air vent fully opened.
The 1600S as was mentioned before on other posts heats up to 1600 Sq. Ft. I purchased an older fireplace insert for $35.00 about two months back for the two glass windows and the metal but found many good bricks inside so used them to replace damaged bricks in the Seefire.
I am still waiting on the glass but everything else is finished. This stove is for my neighbor for his new shop.

Used Stove .jpg Seefire in Shop .JPG Secondary Burner.jpg Secondary Burn Tube.JPG Seefire Front .JPG Seefire Side view .JPG Front Bricks .JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Interesting stove. The secondary air system is similar to the design that Napoleon adopted. Keep us posted on how it burns this winter.

Blazzinghot

Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
Thanks for your comment begreen. I like to study the anatomy of the different wood stoves. I had no idea that primary air can come in from any location. From working on all those older Blaze Kings and Earth Stoves I was under the impression that the primary air needed to come from the lower back of the stove. Ha, I will be curious myself how this stove works. I usually test my stoves outside but only put on about six foot of pipe which is not ideal for a good draft. But my neighbors garage will be more 20 feet of pipe which will make a great place to test it out. I will do my best to keep everyone posted on its performance.

I mentioned on another post I had a Napoleon wood stove but did not no how to use it. Rats, to bad I sold it.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Almost all modern stoves have part or all of the primary air feeding the air wash to keep the glass clean.