My Seefire Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ha, I had to look up a picture of the Goldilocks. I never had any idea they had a bottom plate like this. The Seefire has a 1/2 or 3/4 lip on the sides with a couple of thin support strips running from corner to corner underneath. But it is still not very ridged. I had to be careful when working on it when tipping it on its side. That is quite a story about your PVC pipe with its own gutter system.
Not sure if my post went through. Do you happen to have any images of that lip? I may have inadvertently covered a breather up years ago with porcelain tile i laid around the stove. I couldn't find any knockouts, the only thing I could find near the base wa this but it looks like a safety bracket. I tried pushing aire in there but it didn't impact the firebox at all. I wonder if I remove the grout at the back, that would work?

20211029_003716_resized.jpg

Ha, I had to look up a picture of the Goldilocks. I never had any idea they had a bottom plate like this. The Seefire has a 1/2 or 3/4 lip on the sides with a couple of thin support strips running from corner to corner underneath. But it is still not very ridged. I had to be careful when working on it when tipping it on its side. That is quite a story about your PVC pipe with its own gutter system.
@Blazzinghot i think I found what you are talking about! Is it this section on either side at the back edge, it looks like a cutout? I only see it on the back, the front of the stove doesn't have it. I might just need to chisel out the grout if so. Let me know. Thanks! You guys know everything!!!

20211029_005416_resized.jpg 20211029_005504_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Heck I was trying to get a picture of the stove so I had to borrow one from 2014 another forum and I hope that I can bring it up on here.. It is a beautiful stove and the air comes up from the bottom how unique is that..wow..clancey
1416372522_2.jpg

1416372522_1.jpg

Reactions: Mo Lake
Mo Lake, I should have asked for pictures from the start as I did not realize this stove was already in place and tiled in. That plate on the side should allow air into the chamber if removed. What is the history on the stove did you move into this home just recently and was the stove was already in place? Does this home set on a cement slab or does it have access to underneath? I could be vented under the home and may have a mouse nest or something plugging it up? I have seen other pictures of Seefire wood stoves but nothing like this with a plate on the side of the bottom platform. If you look at my first post you should be able to see the base and platform on this stove.

I had a SeeFire, purchased in 1990 and sold earlier this year. The stove was our primary heating source for our 1500 sq ft home. I haven't read all the posts carefully, but a couple of comments. 1) the combustion air intake was by way of two cutouts in the pedestal, between the top of the pedestal base and the floor; 2) The secondary burn tube had a 1/4" thick metal plate attached to the tube by several screws. The metal plate had an insulation strip (asbestos?) between the plate and the tube. That plate got very hot and sustained the secondary burn, and the metal plate would burn out and needed to be replaced periodically. That was easy to do, and I replaced the insulation strip fashioned from a strip of door gasket material. 3) I replaced all of the firebrick only once, but did replace a brick from time to time that would crack and break.

jebattey, Did you knock out look like like the plate in the picture shared by Mo Lake which is on the side of the bottom base? And thanks for adding some more info on this stove. As you can see from my pictures my plate above the secondary burners was welded in place. Sounds like this Seefire worked good for you for sometime before you sold it.

The cut outs on the pedestal were on the back of the stove, two of them, from memory each was about 4-5" long and about 3/4"-1"high.
I had no complaints about the SeeFire. We replaced it with a Quadrafire Expedition II insert stove in our fireplace, mostly for aesthetic reasons and to reclaim the floor space the SeeFire occupied.

The cut outs on the pedestal were on the back of the stove, two of them, from memory each was about 4-5" long and about 3/4"-1"high.
I had no complaints about the SeeFire. We replaced it with a Quadrafire Expedition II insert stove in our fireplace, mostly for aesthetic reasons and to reclaim the floor space the SeeFire occupied.
By Jove, I think we've got it!! Thank you, I believe you have solved my problem. Now to chisel out the grout and let the air back in. Thank you everyone

jebattey, Did you knock out look like like the plate in the picture shared by Mo Lake which is on the side of the bottom base? And thanks for adding some more info on this stove. As you can see from my pictures my plate above the secondary burners was welded in place. Sounds like this Seefire worked good for you for sometime before you sold it.
@Blazzinghot The cutouts that @clancey Are referring to are actually at the back of the stove on either side of that brace. I will post a pic when I clean out the channel.

Mo Lake I am hoping you found the fix but I am still wondering about the history of the wood stove. Was it working before this problem accrued? Or did you just move into this home? There are some pieces of the puzzle that don't fit together but I guess we will wait and see. Hope you get it going.

clancey, that was a interesting read from this link you shared. Thanks I was looking at the price of firewood per cord as I was reading through these posts. a $100.00 a cord for Maple in 2010 in their area. I just paid $240 for a cord of mixed Maple not sure what the mix is as I am not a wood expert. Well I had better stay on topic or I will get moved to the firewood forum.

Good thing coaly talked that guy our of drilling holes in the front of the stove.

Mo Lake I am hoping you found the fix but I am still wondering about the history of the wood stove. Was it working before this problem accrued? Or did you just move into this home? There are some pieces of the puzzle that don't fit together but I guess we will wait and see. Hope you get it going.
@Blazzinghot I've been here for 17yrs seasonally but did the tile hearth a few years ago but with everything going on never really had the time to notice, managed without the airflow. That being said, I am so thankful for all the wonderful input on this forum. My little stove is fixed!! Started and Burning amazing with the door closed and the glass is clear!! My fan is already spinning! Attached are the pics of where the intake is on the SeeFire 900S. No idea why they wouldn't put that in the manual. Other suckers like me might make the same mistake so I hope this helps anyone with this great little stove. Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice.

View attachment 284332 20211029_200724_resized.jpg Screenshot_20211029-202538_PowerPoint.jpg

Last edited:
Just a beautiful stove and you put some work into it and have it burning really with a real nice little fire too--love it--so glad you cared and I love all the fishers..including bob and carol for they were very smart advertisement and stove people--knew their product and the people--love it ..old clancey