My setup...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shawnr70

Jan 20, 2019
Southern Illinois
Greetings Folks!

f93a2d5f534ccd282bb5135dbe641aa9.jpgfdbd40dbcc1b9aba0e3481c9d39bcbbf.jpg

My little buddy always gets excited, everytime I bring in firewood or even mess with the stove. He likes to help! LOL

I just had to chuckle a little bit that the man who produced the Old Timer was repeatedly dubbed "the pig farmer" in The Fisher Story.

The Old Timer was built in my hometown of Mount Vernon Il and thus, was pretty common around this area...Along with Timberlines and Fishers that were built by Mr. Duncan.

I built the hearth out of 4×8×16 concrete blocks, wrapped it with AirStone, and tiled the base.

Last edited:
It looks nice, but the clearances look to be too small and I am sorry to say that AirStone should not be used for hearths.

From the Mfg:
Is it OK to use AirStone on a hearth?
We do not recommend using AirStone on floors, hearths, counter-tops, or any horizontal surface.

You missed the 8" collar, reduced to 6" stove pipe and the oil lamps on the shelf LOL

I've heated with wood my entire life and haven't burned a house down yet. I'm quite comfortable with the clearances...

The AirStone is on the vertical surfaces...Not the horizontal

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You missed the 8" collar, reduced to 6" stove pipe and the oil lamps on the shelf LOL

I've heated with wood my entire life and haven't burned a house down yet. I'm quite comfortable with the clearances...

The AirStone is on the vertical surfaces...Not the horizontal

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Well as long as you are comfortable I am sure nothing will happen

Reactions: Osage