My Wood Guy Said He Wouldn't Sell Me Wood, And I'm Happy :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Local guy.. I've been buying wood for him for 5 years or so, he drops it off during the week, I stop in over the weekend and pay him. It works for both of us :)

I've alot of stuff to be split, and not the time to haul home the borrowed splitter, etc. So I figured I'd see if he had a cord or 2 to keep me going until I could get to it. He said "no, not for you...the fireplace was one thing, your stove is another". I was :grrr:

Then he said "how much do you have to split?" I said about 1 cord dry and ready (all cut into 16" rounds) and probably 2-3 of fresh stuff from summer/fall cut from the property. He said He's coming around with his 2 cord an hour splitter to some of his regular customers, and splitting what they have to help them out. Charging $100 per hour for 2 cord split. All done after New Years.

I figure, I don't have to tow the borrowed splitter home (and bring it back), stand out there, and git 'er dun, and all, it's worth it.

Add in the SO is having a "no, you can't have your own splitter, it's too dangerous" (said to me with a running chain saw in my hand :coolhmm: ).

So for between $150 and 200 you can get our wood split. If you think it is worth it, go for it. It is a lot less wear and tear on your body. Time wise, it sounds like you don't have much time to get it done.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Local guy.. I've been buying wood for him for 5 years or so, he drops it off during the week, I stop in over the weekend and pay him. It works for both of us :)

I've alot of stuff to be split, and not the time to haul home the borrowed splitter, etc. So I figured I'd see if he had a cord or 2 to keep me going until I could get to it. He said "no, not for you...the fireplace was one thing, your stove is another". I was :grrr:

Then he said "how much do you have to split?" I said about 1 cord dry and ready (all cut into 16" rounds) and probably 2-3 of fresh stuff from summer/fall cut from the property. He said He's coming around with his 2 cord an hour splitter to some of his regular customers, and splitting what they have to help them out. Charging $100 per hour for 2 cord split. All done after New Years.

I figure, I don't have to tow the borrowed splitter home (and bring it back), stand out there, and git 'er dun, and all, it's worth it.

Add in the SO is having a "no, you can't have your own splitter, it's too dangerous" (said to me with a running chain saw in my hand :coolhmm: ).

That sounds really complicated. But this is simple - I will deliver to you 1+ cord of the finest butt-cut Douglas Fir that Washington state has to offer for the modest sum of $2800.

Simple, eh?

[That sounds really complicated. But this is simple - I will deliver to you 1+ cord of the finest butt-cut Douglas Fir that Washington state has to offer for the modest sum of $2800.

Simple, eh?
/quote]

Yep, done deal.

Wait for your PM on directions, etc.

:)

I've got all oak, cut & rounded.

How about a reverse deal?

I have a Super-Split which is probably as fast, or faster, than what he's using, and I'd be hard pressed to do four cords in two hours at someone else's house w/o everything perfectly staged. In fact, that's a blistering pace to maintain and I highly doubt he can do it for any period of time.

I think I'd measure my wood piles and pay him a flat rate of $50/cord (if this is what you want to do), because he probably wont split 2 cords per hour like the splitter might be capable of.

If you can afford to pay some plumbers' crack to come split yer wood . . . burn oil!!

How much is a cord of wood if he's charging 100$ a hour just for splitting.

johnsopi said:
How much is a cord of wood if he's charging 100$ a hour just for splitting.
Sounds pretty pricey to me as well, but you have to keep in mind she is located on LI... Just the tolls to drive to work cost a small fortune there.

A cord of wood runs $200-$250 or more, and right now it's going to be wet. Out in the "Hamptons" woods going for $300-$400 a cord, and again, it's not seasoned.

The wood I have is free (see first post), aside from sweat labor. Cut in the early spring & summer. It was cut into rounds when it came down, atleast 2 trees were dead standing, 1 was a carpenter ant apartment complex, so is quite seasoned now.

We just have to bring some of it up from the lower back forty, which would have to be done regardless. The rest is already nearer the house and right by the stacking areas.

To me, working 6 days a week, leaving and coming home in the dark, plus barn chores, etc, and the daughter & I don't have to stand out there on a couple of Sundays, and do this, it's worth it. It's my time I'm talking about. That includes the time of transporting the borrowed splitter, which is smaller, and towing it back when I'm done for the day.

How many people in this post paid $1000 or less for a splitter and have used it for over 10 years? IF you paid a dime more than that and haven't used it that long, then you are spending more money than her, AND using your own time. Lots of people have to work long hours to feed families and pay for their homes, and can't necessarily stand outside for hours with a maul and split wood. Splitting is decently hard work, and $100 for what will likely be more like 2 hours is well worth it, plus travel, fuel, and a bit of company to boot.

karri0n said:
How many people in this post paid $1000 or less for a splitter and have used it for over 10 years?
Ummm... your math is flawed unless you don't split enough wood.

I split 12 cord of purchased wood and couple more cord or wood I culled last year alone. I paid less than $1k for my splitter years ago and based on the stated cost of $50 per cord, I'd say it's more than paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.