My Woodpiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
dIDvhw7l.jpg

It feels good to have all the wood piles full, and waiting for winter to come along.
This is my main wood pile, the wood shed. 8 feet by 12 feet. I have 4 wood piles in here, each is 7 1/2 feet long and 7 feet high.
Mostly oak with some cherry and locust.
This wood shed doesn't look like much but it contains an enormous amount of wood, and it is all dry as a bone.

K8XcMJGl.jpg

Backup wood pile #1. Below the kitchen window. This pile is 14 feet long and 5 feet high. White oak with some locust.

6I48jDfl.jpg

Backup wood pile #2. This is in the carport. This is two wood piles side-by-side. 16 feet long and 4 feet high. Mostly white oak with a lot of locust, some ash and black walnut. As big as this wood pile is, the wood shed holds about twice as much wood.

s5KjzT0l.jpg

Emergency backup wood pile. I didn't have room for any more wood, but a big black walnut tree blew over in a hayfield one mile from my house. I couldn't resist it. I laid my big ladder out on the ground and piled it up.
I just cut up this wood 3 days ago.
This wood pile is 15 feet long and 4 1/2 feet high.

Last edited:
Could you post some details on your carport? I am thinking about building something similar.

The carport is 6x6 pt posts, 17 feet apart. I set bolts in the wet concrete, and bolted galvanized "chairs" onto that, and set the posts into the chairs.
The rafters are actually home made trusses of 2x6.

spacebus: Send me a PM and I will send you carport details including pics.

Last edited:
The carport is 6x6 pt posts, 16 feet apart. I set bolts in the wet concrete, and bolted galvanized "chairs" onto that, and set the posts into the chairs.
The rafters are actually home made trusses of 2x6.
Did you place the trusses 24" oc? Is it a 16' square?

Did you place the trusses 24" oc? Is it a 16' square?

This is not a carport forum. I doubt the mods want me clogging up the site with 5 photos plus a bunch of details. You won't send a PM evidently you have concluded I am an internet scam.
Good luck with your carport.

Reactions: baseroom
Never seen black walnut before. Looks pretty cool
I think its beautiful when something is built with black walnut. Beautiful grain.