Myson Radiators/TRV's/Alpha pump as simple as it gets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2013
Northern New Mexico
I have come to the conclusion that using radiators with trv valves and a alpha pump to circulate is about as simple as a boiler setup can get. What are the drawbacks to this setup? I am trying to setup a super simple cheap heating system to get into the house I am restoring with out spending a ton of money on the system and the plumber.

I second the outdoor reset.

Hi James,

Are you installing a gassifier and storage?

I almost went with panel rads with TRV's but in the end I went with low temp radiant floors. I HAD to have the TRV's though so I got the capillary tube variety.
I have seven loops on my manifold, an alpha on constant circulation, each loop has a TRV and I use a Taco ivalve with outdoor reset. It's works beautifully.
I planned for 120::F supply temp at my design temp so for avg outdoor temps I see maybe 100 to 110::F. It's really nice watching the supply temp rise as the outdoor temp falls and vice versa.

More on my setup in the link in my signature.

Have you run the room by room heat loss calculation?
This is important for sizing the panel rads at a given supply temp, figuring flow rates and your reset ratio as well.

Keep us updated.... with pictures preferably::-)

Noah

Tryin to just get into the house, I don't even know if I will get a wood boiler till after I get in. For now its gonna be a cheap craigslist natty boiler and I will eventually add a wood boiler of some sort I have a guy close to me selling a EKO40 and a Empire Elite 100 for around the same price and I will hopefully grab one and find a old propane tank for storage.

If you like the radiator look, have you considered some reclaimed CIO rads, those would be cheaper that the Mysons. I have some upstairs I bought last year, sandblasted and painted them. Worst part is lugging them :confused:

TS

If I would have known I was gonna be doing this I would have a bunch. My contractor/buddy restored a 3 story 1800's Wells Fargo building earlier this year that was full of them. They all went to scrap even though I told him to save them. I looked on craigslist and found none for sale and the problem with New Mexico is most houses are either dirt or new build so not many old style radiators. My buddy is totally against the wood boiler and I can't wait to show him that I can have d hot water year round, keep my house nice and warm(no cold mornings cause I cant afford natural gas or the wood stove goes out) and get a free hot tub with a burnt heating element and run the sucker with my boiler for the same money he uses keeps his hot tub hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.