Mysterious Relay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
I need help finding a part that I need. What I need is a "part" that has 110v into it and 110v out of it. While the line in hot I want the power to go through it. When the power shuts off, I want it to switch off so when the power comes back on, it will not allow the power to go through it. This "part" should have a reset that I will have to activate so I can control when it sends power down the line.

This "part" is going to control my boiler power so that when the bottom of my storage gets to 170 degrees it will cut the power to the boiler. I have a probe and controller to do this but I do not want the boiler to come back on line until I'm ready to run the boiler. I do not want it to cycle so once the power goes off to the "part", it stays off until I reset it. This will allow me to run the boiler full out until I have all 2000 gallons heated and I won't have to babysit the boiler when I start to get close to it being totally filled. When I get the bottom to 170, the top is 190 and the middle is 187 so I don't have much more room for heat. I'm tricking the probe on the boiler so that I can run it up to 190 (I have the old controller and it reads 70 Celsius at 190) so my boiler will not idle so I need to kill the power. I'm running my circ on a separate power line so that it always runs (with battery backup in case of power outage) and its not controlled by the boiler.

Thank you all and any help will be appreciated.
Shannon Robertson

While I've used this method to make sure routers, TV's and radios don't come back on after a power interuption , I've never used it in on a boiler... touch switches are available at most hardware stores these days.... if the power is interupted, most of them stay off when the power is restored, check the details on the brand available in your hardware store.... I like it personally because it means I had to go touch it if I wanted to turn the whatever device back on....

if you want to make one, here's how it works...
http://www.aaroncake.net/CIRCUITS/touch.asp

Let's see: relay has coil A and B terminals, common (C), normally open (NO), and normally closed (NC) terminals.

110 vac black to momentary switch A
momentary switch B to relay coil A.
110 vac white to relay coil B.
110 vac black to relay NO terminal
relay C terminal to relay coil A
relay C terminal to load
110 vac white to load

I think that would do it.......

nofossil said:
Let's see: relay has coil A and B terminals, common (C), normally open (NO), and normally closed (NC) terminals.

110 vac black to momentary switch A
momentary switch B to relay coil A.
110 vac white to relay coil B.
110 vac black to relay NO terminal
relay C terminal to relay coil A
relay C terminal to load
110 vac white to load

I think that would do it.......

And to purchase this on google shopping or ebay I would be looking for __________?

I think he's saying those relays are already in place on your furnace and just need to be rewired with the inclusion of a momentary switch (a push button normally - sometimes they are toggles)

sdrobertson said:
And to purchase this on google shopping or ebay I would be looking for __________?

Sorry - any general purpose relay with a 110 volt coil would work. The contacts would have to be able to carry enough current for your load, but almost any would likely be big enough.

You could use an AC magnetic motor starter too, run your 120 feed from your boiler through start/stop station and through the maintaining contact on the coil. Once power is lost there will be no way for it to start unless you press the start button. This one on eBay has a 120 volt coil is only 13 bucks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220327176151

Status
Not open for further replies.