Nailing in sheathing on a roof.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
OSHA who?

• Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
In the 70's, 80's and 90's I had a house two story with 12/12 pitch roof. I would walk the ridge out to the chimney to clean it. I must have been nuts during those years, or maybe old age has made a sissy out of me.

Some kids grow up to be great athletes in sports, others grow up to be great athletes in construction. In the latter, you have to be young and reckless.

In the 70's, 80's and 90's I had a house two story with 12/12 pitch roof. I would walk the ridge out to the chimney to clean it. I must have been nuts during those years, or maybe old age has made a sissy out of me.
I used to be a safety third kind of guy, we just get smarter as we age.

LOL
Yesterday afternoon the roofer asked me to come on up to the ridge and take a look at the standing seam roof I'm having installed. I'm standing in the rear by the walk out overhead door to the cellar.
10 foot pour, 10 foot ceilings on two floors with 2X12 Joists and rafters on a 12:12 pitch.

I laughed and said I'll be right up. NOT!!!!

Seeing a roofer or framer wearing fall protection around here is about as common as seeing a flying cow. It's crazy. Construction is dangerous work no matter how you slice it, but some places seem to place more emphasis on mitigating those risks than others.

Western Washington seemed to have more of a culture of safety than where I work currently. I'm not sure if that's a result of greater enforcement, differing employment structures (employees vs. contract) or something else, but there seemed to be a greater eye for safety there from the site supers down to the gophers.

In Ontario Canada, the contractor would be fined the site shut down
until all employees have had fall prevention and confined spaces courses
Then the contractor must provide the necessary equipment before being able
to start work. After that, an inspector will show up randomly for about 4 weeks

The guy in the video is just an Aho-e for working like that
No respect for his life or future.

A step in time saves nine.

Attachments

• 0811170612b_HDR.jpg
    0811170612b_HDR.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 136
Not using PPE/safety gear is just putting money into the employers pocket. As an adult I can't understand why so many eschew PPE or even make jokes about it. I get a lot of flack for wearing full PPE whenever I operate a chainsaw, or back when I used to ride motorcycles.

Same here. Especially when on a motorcycle. But I've seen how childrens chalk goes on asphalt. So does the human body (and I've the results of that too).

Reactions: SpaceBus
On a similar note on youth and chance taking, electric scooters, mopeds and bicycles are all the rage now in my neighborhood. They go fast, don't follow many of the rules of the road, and the drivers don't seem to care much about close calls with others on the road. Most don't wear any protective equipment, just noise cancelling headphones. I ride my bicycle for exercise and I am constantly compensating for their mistakes or else we all end up on the ground.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Same here. Especially when on a motorcycle. But I've seen how childrens chalk goes on asphalt. So does the human body (and I've the results of that too).
I've had some close calls on bikes, so I am especially cautious.

I lost my best friend to a motorcycle accident. It was not his fault. He was hit by a drunk driver speeding going the wrong way on a one way street. Haven't owned one since.

• Sad
Reactions: stoveliker
I think it is a matter of maturation...People are stupid sometimes when it comes to safety..... Heck I take caution with things and I still manage to break bones and vertebrae--trying to be safe...lol Hope they get a grip..clancey

While I agree the guy in the video is a moron I don't agree with the sentiment that not using fall protection means you are reckless etc. I will use it when I feel a need. But most of the time there really isn't a need.

Reactions: JimBear
I worked roofing for 4 years no matter the type or height of a roof I
always wore fall protection. I wanted to go every night to my wife and kid, not the
hospital. Never had to use it but I always wore it

I worked roofing for 4 years no matter the type or height of a roof I
always wore fall protection. I wanted to go every night to my wife and kid, not the
hospital. Never had to use it but I always wore it
Roofing is one thing with hoses loose shingles etc. But just cleaning a chimney I don't unless it is 10/12 or more. Or wet metal old shingles etc. The problem is unless I can throw a tag line over and attach my rope to the ground on the other side I still have to go up unprotected once which is usually all I do for a cleaning.

Now I do use ridge ladders roof scaffold ect for liners masonry work etc. But generally no harness with those

So day in day out all day - protect from falls and other hazards. Once in a while - couple times a day - no big deal. Hmm. Let's see, 2- broken knee caps, ladder inverted, 2-broken wrists, roofing fall, broken 4th neck vetibra, roofing fall, 2-broken ankles, ladder slid out, concussion/ coma for two wks ladder, fell back and away. These are guys I've known. Not up day to day, not roofers, but service people cleaning, inspecting, doing installs where 90% of the work is elsewhere. Just saying. It can be a hassle to prevent a mishap, so be careful. I built scaffolding for a recent build, 12/12 pitch. Researching wood scaffolds, osha style, was a study in requirements - what does it take to prevent injury. So I built the required scaffolding, and was very impressed. Not just once, but a dozen times, 45min to assemble, 25min to tear down, move, rebuild, repeat. But wouldn't you know, one time I omitted something, and in time that reqirement became clear. Not in an alarming way, but- maybe a little wind, maybe some frost, maybe. Easy to do, easy to f-up.

Last edited:
So the Amish kids roofing my 12/12 roof didn't wear any fall protection. I honestly couldn't watch this part of the build. Later, a roofer who was helping with the chimney put a 12 ft ladder up to the gutter line and climbed up the roof just grabbing onto the standing seems. I don't remember a time in my life when this would have made sense to me, bit there are probably reasons--I'm not a roofer. I bought a chicken ladder and will not hesitate to go up to the ridge. I don't wear fall protection, but I trust that science is on my side with ladder. I do wear a climbing helmet if my wife is watching though. I mostly work with my brain, so I'm convinced she thinks this is the important part of me--after 20 yrs of marriage. She may or may not be right. That is a crazy video nonetheless.

So the Amish kids roofing my 12/12 roof didn't wear any fall protection. I honestly couldn't watch this part of the build. Later, a roofer who was helping with the chimney put a 12 ft ladder up to the gutter line and climbed up the roof just grabbing onto the standing seems. I don't remember a time in my life when this would have made sense to me, bit there are probably reasons--I'm not a roofer. I bought a chicken ladder and will not hesitate to go up to the ridge. I don't wear fall protection, but I trust that science is on my side with ladder. I do wear a climbing helmet if my wife is watching though. I mostly work with my brain, so I'm convinced she thinks this is the important part of me--after 20 yrs of marriage. She may or may not be right. That is a crazy video nonetheless.
If I use ridge ladders on metal I have to pad them completely so I don't scratch anything. I really really hate all of these new metal roofs. They make my job much harder.

If I use ridge ladders on metal I have to pad them completely so I don't scratch anything. I really really hate all of these new metal roofs. They make my job much harder.
Yeah, I have pipe insulation zip tied to the ladder in strategic places. The insulation seems to help the ladder grip a bit. I imagine that this would be a pain for someone doing this every day. I'm not up on my roof often.

21BB204C-2F39-414B-AA75-DE284D0BA850.jpeg
Then you’ll hate me. 6:12 running into 2 12:12’s.
Rear of the house is the exact same.

The guys told me New Balance sneakers are all they will use.