Name this stove - and how do I move it temporarily?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TabeaK

Jan 15, 2022
NJ
Hello, first time stove owner here in my new house, so apologies for the rookie questions.

Does anyone recognize the make of this stove?

I love the looks of it, but I am not wild about the red brick color of the fireplace so plan a project to whitewash it - which means the stove will have to temporarily relocate.

As a complete newbie - how does one go about that? Do I need a professional to disconnect/reconnect and make sure things still work properly? How does one move that very piece of equipment?

Please explain it to me like I am 5 because that thing intimidates me.

7C32E704-D676-4401-A063-887B72ECC07B.jpeg

Personally I would bag it and work around it. Tape off the legs. It’s probably 400 plus or minus 50 pounds

It’s a Vermont Castings Encore or Defiant. There’s is an id tag on the back of the stove. If there is a rear heat shield you can take that off by removing the 4 screws in the four corners of the heat shield. The id tag should be in the upper corner. The model will also be listed here. Post a picture of the id tag and the inside of the stove. The outside looks to be in great shape.

Reactions: TabeaK
Cheap hard thin laminate flooring piece about 3 or 4 feet long under legs...slide stove back and forth....clean stove and chimney before doing your work.

Reactions: Earlnemo
Personally I would bag it and work around it. Tape off the legs. It’s probably 400 plus or minus 50 pounds
Hahaha, have you been talking to my husband? That is what he says, but the question remains how to paint beneath the stove. Unless I can figure out a way to lever it up a couple inches and not kill myself trying to paint underneath.

It’s a Vermont Castings Encore or Defiant. There’s is an id tag on the back of the stove. If there is a rear heat shield you can take that off by removing the 4 screws in the four corners of the heat shield. The id tag should be in the upper corner. The model will also be listed here. Post a picture of the id tag and the inside of the stove. The outside looks to be in great shape.
Thanks! I will take a look.

Cheap hard thin laminate flooring piece about 3 or 4 feet long under legs...slide stove back and forth....clean stove and chimney before doing your work.
Hmm...wouldn't the stove be attached to a pipe of some kind that prevents that? I'll need to take a closer look when I get back to the house.

You need to learn to disconnect pipe and reconnect unless your chimney sweep removes a baffle and vacuum and cleans well...you cant lift it without removing a pipe...most likely it has some screws. When was the chimney last cleaned and inspected? If you just moved in I'd would learn what parts were used for chimney pipe and make sure it's clean and co2 detector.

Or bag it and wait to do the area under the legs.

Disconnect the flue and tilt the stove backs hair and quickly brush under the feet. Set it down and tilt it forward a hair and brush under the rear feet. Set it down. I wouldn’t move the stove. It’s heavier than hell. If you insist on moving it I would lighten it up by removing the doors, internal castings (depending on which model it is), griddle top. Even then it’s still going to be very heavy.

Just remember that running a stove is inherently dusty, whitewash might not be the color you want

Does your hearth protrude enough in front of the stove? I don't think so.

Download the manual and check.
(And yes, before lighting, have everything cleaned and inspected, buy smoke and CO2 detectors (one on each floor at least), and a (ABC) fire extinguisher (preferably mounted near an exit of the stove room).

Reactions: MR. GLO