Nanosolar ships first panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This is the first American thin film solar panel plant to come online. They project the cost will be as low as .99/watt. This is exciting. As more thin film plants come online the cost of residential solar should drop considerably. This is a non-silicon panel that is printed on substrate. The process results in a substantially lower capital investment and greater mass production capabilities.

http://blog.nanosolar.com/

Neat stuff....

There are a LOT of solar PV plants coming on line over the next three years. At $1.00 a watt, I think it ends up being as cheap as anything else - maybe cheaper since you don't have to figure in as much pollution or getting rid of radioactive waste. Any way you look at it, we are on the cusp of a revolution in clean energy.

We can hardly wait. Although our house is not too good for solar due to a big redwood tree on the south side, we have an adjacent field that gets a lot of sun. I'm going to build a greenhouse there with the upper part of the roof clad in panels.

When it hits a buck a watt, I'll buy. Its in my 5 year plan.

Solar water heating is still the biggest bang for the buck. Its in my 1 year plan.

Awesome, thanks. I just subscribed to the mailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.