Napoleon 1400PL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbean

Nov 13, 2013
New Hampshire (southern)
Hi,

I have been scouring the web for reviews and they all seem good. Our house came with an Vermont Castings Encore Cataylitc/Non Cataytic stove. We are selling it back to the owners as we are only getting 4 hour burn times with it (we can see and hear air coming in all the time) and the ceramic covering the cataytic part has now cracked 2x since we have been using it (dry wood).

Does anyone have any reviews of the Napoleon? The store we bought it from has high marks and seemed to know what they were talking about (also, the Napoleon was in our price range). We are also going to be happier having a stove that is a bit easier to use.

Thanks

I have a 1400P and love it. We heat a 2400 sqft house with R50 in the ceiling and standard (r18?) in the walls. We get 7 to 10 hours burn times with good quality wood.

I would go for it.

Additional thoughts....

1- I don't have a blower.
2- I find the stove burns better with the wood loaded front to back.
3- I hope this helps

How large a home is this? Is it easy for the stove heat to convect to the whole house? If the house has an open floorplan and is around 2000sq ft, I'm thinking you might be happier with the Napoleon 1900.

I purchased and installed a new 1100PL this fall. I have been running it for about 3-4 weeks and I have to say I am really impressed with the amount of heat that this stove puts out. In addition I am impressed with the amount of heat this stove holds after the fire is out. Might I suggest that whatever stove you decide to purchase that you get a flue temp gauge in addition to a stove top temp gauge. Myself being new to burning wood it has helped me to monitor what my stove is doing. One other thing, I purchased an all black stove and before installing I painted the door and legs a metallic brown. Saved me some $ and gave it a custom look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.