Napoleon 1402 Insert and Chimney liner ---DIY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
I am sure this is going to be redundant for those who have been on this forum for some time, but being new I have to ask this question(s). We just purchased the Napoleon 1402 wood insert and since it will not be shipping until at least December 08, I thought that I could save time and $$$ by installing the liner myself now while there is no snow or ice on the roof! 15' masonary chimney nice and clean from the chimney sweep. Got the DuraVent SS 6" kit from dealer (Big George's - Ann Arbor, MI). I am fairly good around the house with projects, etc. Dealer says there is no need to install insulated pipe - chimney on north side of a single story ranch. A video on Chimneysweep.com shows them cutting off the flue pipe flush with the chimney top to install the cap & rain cover. Is this necessary? Doesn't that then lower the overall height of the chimney and violate code?

All comments and opinions are more than welcome. Being a part time firefighter, you can see the irony that would come from having my own house be the next call for the guys! :red: I would have to move to another county! Just kidding; having been on many chimney fires in my career, I just want to make sure this is something the average homeowner can do. Hate to spend money where it isn't necessary but I have read hours of posts on the forum and it seems that this whole project can safely be a DIY. From the various posts, it sounds like the liner can make or break the wood burning experience. When cleaning the pipe, does it matter that it's all flex or should it be straight pipe. Seems it's just like what they say for dryer venting - flex is the worse thing you can do; most codes now require the straight pipe with minimal flex.
Finally, the last question is should I close off the damper? If the top of the chimney is closed by the new cap whats the need to then close off the damper area. I notice that Napoleon install booklet suggests a method to close it off with sheet metal. Comments?

heatit said:
I am sure this is going to be redundant for those who have been on this forum for some time, but being new I have to ask this question(s). We just purchased the Napoleon 1402 wood insert and since it will not be shipping until at least December 08, I thought that I could save time and $$$ by installing the liner myself now while there is no snow or ice on the roof! 15' masonary chimney nice and clean from the chimney sweep. Got the DuraVent SS 6" kit from dealer (Big George's - Ann Arbor, MI). I am fairly good around the house with projects, etc. Dealer says there is no need to install insulated pipe - chimney on north side of a single story ranch. A video on Chimneysweep.com shows them cutting off the flue pipe flush with the chimney top to install the cap & rain cover. Is this necessary? Doesn't that then lower the overall height of the chimney and violate code?

All comments and opinions are more than welcome. Being a part time firefighter, you can see the irony that would come from having my own house be the next call for the guys! :red: I would have to move to another county! Just kidding; having been on many chimney fires in my career, I just want to make sure this is something the average homeowner can do. Hate to spend money where it isn't necessary but I have read hours of posts on the forum and it seems that this whole project can safely be a DIY. From the various posts, it sounds like the liner can make or break the wood burning experience. When cleaning the pipe, does it matter that it's all flex or should it be straight pipe. Seems it's just like what they say for dryer venting - flex is the worse thing you can do; most codes now require the straight pipe with minimal flex.
Finally, the last question is should I close off the damper? If the top of the chimney is closed by the new cap whats the need to then close off the damper area. I notice that Napoleon install booklet suggests a method to close it off with sheet metal. Comments?

Yes, you can definitely do this yourself. You can install the chimney liner beforehand, however, having the insert there makes it easier. Just leave enough at the bottom of your fireplace to allow the connection to the insert. As for the top, you probably won't have to cut any off, since you will be doing your cutting at the bottom when your insert arrives. I think that 4" above the flue top is what you want so that the top plate will attach to the liner. Then you will attach the cap to the top plate.

My wife and I did the liner install and insert for the 1402. Took a few hours but no major issues. We did have to remove the damper but we had already done this days before we did the install. The Napoleon manual mentions you may have to remove the damper. Then you make a block off plate out of sheet metal. You can search on block off plate on the forum to find out how this is done. I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether closing off the top of the chimney means you don't need a block off plate. But there are those on this forum who are.

Thanks for the info. Overall, how do like the 1402? How long have you had it?

We are newbie's as well. We have done our break-in fires and have enjoyed it. Puts out quite a bit of heat. We look forward to this winter and staying warm with wood heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.