Napoleon 1402 Insert Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmybaseballcity

Feb 22, 2019
North Carolina
Good afternoon,

I have about a 3-year-old Napoleon 1402 wood stove insert. Recently, I found that the blower kept turning on and off when the stove was clearly above the thermal switch operating temperature. I went ahead and replaced the thermal switch thinking it went bad. After replacing the switch, I still had the same results; the fan would stay on for a minute then turn off. I then decided to do away with the thermal switch and tied the wires going to the switch together. After doing that, I can now control the fans manually. But after doing that, the variable speed rheostat does not change the fan speed. The fans only operate on high. I don't see how removing the thermal switch would affect the rheostat control. Has the rheostat gone bad? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dustin

Your thinking is correct. The thermal snapswitch is in series between the blower and the rheostat. The rheostat may have gone bad.

Is there a lot of ash in the stove? Sometimes a thick ashbed can insulate the heat from the snapswitch. Another thing to verify is that the snapswitch is being pressed firmly against the stove body.