Napoleon 1402 smoke issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gilz128

Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
ive had the Napoleon 1402 for about 6 years now. The last few years, when I light a new fire. Smoke comes out from under the insert. Looks like it’s coming out of the sliding damper. Anyone else ever have an issue with this. And if so. We’re you able to fix the problem. Once the stove gets going for a few minutes. And I reap good draft is established. The smoke issue stops. It’s just pretty annoying when it happens on a new startup. Thanks in advance.

You can pre-heat the flue with a heat gun or hair dryer to establish the draft before lighting anything that will make smoke.

Check draft with an incense stick. If it's getting pushed back at you rather than sucked up, grab a heat gun ($10 at harbor freight) and run it for a minute and you'll be set. That's what I do whenever I suspect marginal draft (like when temps are about 50 outside)