Napoleon 1450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kioti mike

Jun 23, 2020
New Brunswick Canada
I have a 5 year old Napoleon 1450 wood stove that has worked well up till the end of last of winter. The stoves seems to be over firing and the draft control setting doesn't seem to matter. I put a new door seal on and it didn't seem to fix the problem so I then put a new glass seal on and it still didn't seem to fix it either. I looked under the stove thinking the draft control might have broken or bent but it looks normal. Is there anything that I'm missing? I hate to buy a new stove because of this but I will if need be. Any help would be appreciated.

Any change in the wood you were burning this year vs last? Moisture content and split size could factor in. If your wood is a lot drier than before you could see hotter fires, and if you had smaller splits they would cause a hotter burn.

Any change in the wood you were burning this year vs last? Moisture content and split size could factor in. If your wood is a lot drier than before you could see hotter fires, and if you had smaller splits they would cause a hotter burn.
It didn't seem to matter what size wood and all of the wood was dried for 1 year. I thought I must be getting air from somewhere .

First suspect is the replacement door gasket. When the door gasket was replaced, was it with an OEM gasket or a third-party one like Rutland's?

First suspect is the replacement door gasket. When the door gasket was replaced, was it with an OEM gasket or a third-party one like Rutland's?
The Door Gasket was a third party gasket company and the glass gasket was OEM . I did the paper between the door and the stove trick and it seemed to be tight all around the door.

All gaskets are not created equally. There are some radical differences. I tried 2 gaskets on our stove, Rutland and Meeco gold. Both were abysmal failures. The Rutland was too low density and the Meeco was much too high. Third time was the charm with the OEM PE gasket. It works perfectly.

After the gasket channel is thoroughly cleaned, I recommend using RTV silicone for the gasket adhesive.