Napoleon Hot Air Distribution Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd

Hearth Supporter
Jun 15, 2009
Hi,

Is anyone out there familiar with Napoleon's Hot Air Distribution Kit ? I'm in the process of replacing a pre-fab ZC unit with an NZ26 and wanted to get some details on this kit - been a long standing project that is finally getting underway - we welcomed twin boys last fall !

We have just under 2000sf to heat and the FP is located pretty much in the center of the building with an open vaulted ceiling and a loft. (it's a weird layout). I plan to use the dual blower option with the FP as well as installing a hot air gravity vent for an adjoining room that sits behind and to the right of the FP (see pic). Is this kit worth the investment to heat that room or should I just stick with my previous listed options ? If I do install dual blowers will that preclude me from installing the distribution kit later on ? From what I gathered it sits somewhere below the fireplace ???

In terms of the NZ26, any additional thoughts on this unit ? I've tried to rationalize the purchase many times over after comparing similiar units to BIS and others. The small firebox is a drawback for sure but I'm hoping with the options listed above I'll be able to get as much heat out of the FP as possible. This year I also plan to burn hardwood that's been sitting in a heated garage for 25-years ... it's a 16" split which I know will be tight but the NZ26 is rated to 18" so crossing my fingers.

Thoughts?

TIA - this forum is great for those of us just starting off on the wood burning journey!

Attachments

• 32ViewFromLoft.jpg
    32ViewFromLoft.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 515
  • 25LivingRoom.jpg
    25LivingRoom.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 502
Is the kit you are talking about in addition to the gravity vent? The gravity vent goes on top I assume. If you are talking about a blower-assisted distribution kit, I don't know about the Napoleon one, but I got the one for my BIS. It consists of an adapter for the outer shell of the fireplace, a length of insulated flex duct, a big inline (remote) blower, and attachment hardware. It sucks air out the side or back (but not the top, which is for the gravity vents) of the convection chamber. I have it running down into my basement, which seemed to work but has never been used beyond testing. Now I'm actually using it reversed as a quiet blower into the convection chamber, the blowers underneath are loud.

I think if you are using dual blowers underneath and the gravity vent you are already sucking out about as much heat as you are going to get. The remote distribution might be handy to balance the house, but you will be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

2000 sq ft with vaulted ceilings and what appears to be a lot of glass in a northern climate seems like a lot for 1.7 cu ft of firebox.

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback. I've agonized over the 1.7 for some time now however I'm not attempting to have this as primary source of heat and it would be supplemental to what is now an electric furnace being switched over to propane next fall or the year after. Most of the "living" takes place in the 2 rooms that I've shown in the pic.

The current cavity and chase construction is preventing me from going with anything bigger so I need something with a depth of 25" or less otherwise the cost for this overhaul is going to get really out of hand. If I go with Napoleon I can also get a substantial reduction in price on the cost of the unit so that's the overall rationale.

DiscoInferno - I assume the NZ fans would probably be just as loud as the BIS?? Can they be turned off or do they turn on automatically ?

S&W - any other suggestions perhaps given my note above? Is this going to be pointless to replace? Shoud I just be looking at a freestanding stove perhpas ? If took out that prefab unit could I close up the cavity / stone the wall / and have the free standing sit on the hearth ? Would I be able to tie the venting into the existing chase with an up and out ? It's currently and air cooled chimney which would need to be replaced.

Thoughts? Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input and reading I've done on this site. It really is a wealth of info.

mikeyd said:
Hi,

TIA - this forum is great for those of us just starting off on the wood burning journey!

This forum is great for someone in the Hearth Industry for 26 years. I've only been a member for a year or so, and I have to tell you, I learn something new every day. Just beware of the hippies hiding here like Ninjas

Are you dead set on a FP style rather than an Insert? There are many inserts with a larger firebox that fit into 25" depth. As an example, our Regency I3100 (3.1 cuft) needs 25H X 28W X 17D.

It's not a masonry chase / box - can I get an insert to go into that ? I was under the impression an insert would go into an existing masonary installation only? If that's not true then I would be open to any other possibility but I'm thinking my options are few.

Blower fans are all fairly noisy in my experience, although the lower-RPM they are, the quieter they are. Usually the fans are on both a variable-speed control (which lets you trade off loudness for more air) and a temperature sensor that cuts out when the fireplace is cold.

Several inserts can be installed in factory built zero-clearance fireplaces. That option would be worth considering, though it will not be ducted. Perhaps the adjacent room heat circulation could be augmented with a fan on it's floor blowing cool air into the main, fireplace room.

mikeyd said:
S&W - any other suggestions perhaps given my note above? Is this going to be pointless to replace? Shoud I just be looking at a freestanding stove perhpas ?

A freestanding stove would be a much bigger project, but you could heat the house with it. If your goal/expectation is to supplement the furnace and add a toasty spot where you spend most of your time, I think you are on the right track.

I'd suggest getting someone in to take a look at your current installation and give you scoop on what you need (or don't need to do) to install an insert. With the blower on our Regency heats the house easily (1800 sqft bungalow). Like BeGreen said, a small fan blowing cold air into the room from the back room would prolly be all that's needed to get lots of heat in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.