Napoleon I40 Convection Blower Too Loud to Run!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GARY24NASCAR

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
PUTNAM, CT
I have a Napoleon I40 (insert). This is my 3rd season. Within the 1st year I noticed the annoying loudness or hum the convection blower produces. I replaced it via the dealer under warranty the 1st winter. New blower...same issue. I suffered through it last year.

I've read a few long threads on this. Calling Napoleon gets me no where...even though this issue has been documented and expressed to them for years now.

I've read elsewhere that the outer bearing is getting too hot and goes bad. A different designed blower was sent to the gentlemen from a Frasco dealer. It was made of Sleeve Bearings instead of seal ball bearings. Newer blower had an improved 3500 rpms compared to the stock 3000 rpms.

I'll be calling several different Frasco dealers in hope of finding someone with a clue and maybe a different blower.

Has anyone tried a different blower? If so, what was the part #? Any other info or direction?

I'm basically NOT using the stove. It's in my living room. By the end of the day between the high pitched noise and my TV being too loud to cover that loud noise I HAVE SUCH A HEADACHE! I'ld rather pay for oil then get a headache every darn day!

Thanks in advance!!!

Gary

Have spoken with the Production Manager a few times at Fasco. He was very nice. The only info he gave me was that this blower is used in many pellet stove brands and there's no known issue with them. He also stated that the sealed ball bearings can withstand more heat than the sleeve bearings. So some confusion as to what I've read elsewhere. I've found the person which helped someone else (Steve Arnold) but he's out until the 13th. I left him a message. I'll find out for sure one way or the other and will update.
Gary

From what I gather on the sleeved bearings verus ball bearings. The sleeve bearings run quiter to the ball bearings. ball bearings tend to resinate the noises thru the motor housing.

I am sure I can find the aftermarket blower or at least the replacement motor for this blower if you post some pictures and list the numbers off the tag. But I am betting right off the top of my head its the B24220 fasco blower.

Check here! Much cheaper than OEM if it is the one!

Thanks. That is close but the RPMs are a bit lower. At least a much cheaper alternative! The picture on the link provided is a match. Does that have sleeve bearings or sealed ball bearings?

Details right off the blower

FASCO
TP CLASS B
TYPE U21B
RPM 3000
FASCO PN: 702111992
V 115
HZ 60
A 1.5
HP 1/35
CUST PN W062-0021
SEALED BALL BEARING
A0
MK8

Certain OEM's haven't been added to the cross references yet. I hit a wall and will need photo's of the blower and possible dimensions of the mounting.

Going to where Breckwell has had similar issues with the Fasco's they have released this new blower. It is using a open frame motor.(I call them c-frames) and are much quiter than the enclosed motors. They also carry more RPM's than the enclosed motors. Take a look at the picture. I bet this is the new stuff Fasco was talking about.

Breckwells new number is A-E-033A

Attachments

• Breckwell New.jpg
    Breckwell New.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 907
Breckwells old number A-E-033

The B24220 is the exact same blower as this. You can also use the A. O. Smith 9468

Attachments

• Breckwell old.jpg
    Breckwell old.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 783
I'll have to take measurements but almost gaurantee this is an exact match. Awesome! I'll confrim tonight. Can't thank you enough. I'll also provide pics...

Most of this appears to match. However, the overall layout of the blower is different. I tried taking the same pics as the ones given but in order for me to line things up correctly the motor part has to be faced down. May not matter but appears to be on the opposite side. I searched high and low for the part number all over the net (702111992) with no match. This is exact to what the sticker shows but I think they mis-printed that because all the part #'s I've seen should show 7021-1992. No big deal but still haven't found anything plugging that in on many different websites or companies that sell these blowers. Will still wait and see what Steve A from Fasco has to say and maybe shed some light on a possible "new" Fasco replacement like you showed.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 812
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 816
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 822
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 806
  • 009_1.jpg
    009_1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 842
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 798
I searched some catalogs and I can't find anything that's close to that blower. Looks like your at the mercy of fasco on them. I hope they take care of you. Seems they side with the manufactures and usually tell you to order from them.

I might be able to come up with a motor, If you get stuck.

That blower looks like the one I have and it also matches some of the Whitfield blowers I've seen.

Have you ever lubed it?

isn't the newer NPS45 using a newer blower due to the many complains and issues a year or two ago, when i bought my NPS45 2 months ago i was given word that Napoleon changed the blowers/motors with a different version from another company (fasco??).

My NPS45 has been just fine, only 2 months but i saw people having issues with brand new stoves back then.

Just curiosity.

BTW - Gary, you're in good hands with these guys on board......

geek said:
isn't the newer NPS45 using a newer blower due to the many complains and issues a year or two ago, when i bought my NPS45 2 months ago i was given word that Napoleon changed the blowers/motors with a different version from another company (fasco??).

My NPS45 has been just fine, only 2 months but i saw people having issues with brand new stoves back then.

Just curiosity.

BTW - Gary, you're in good hands with these guys on board......

geek can you snap a shot of yours and post the info of the motor tag. Might help?

Thanks

i could try when i get home tonight, is it on the right or left side panel? I imagine the panel is easy to remove.

Oh and Gary, it would also help to know the CFM rating for the blower, hopefully it is in your stove manual.

Hey, add me to the list of users needing that blower. My number is Fasco 7021-7647 and is the old 3000 RPM 1/25 HP. motor. I've taken it apart and lube it and still no operation it hums but just no turning. I've wire it direct with no results, so, I think the motor is toast. The stove is a old Whitfield freestanding Advantage 2 and says testing reslults are 1988 if that means anything. I need a new blower NOW as it's cold up here in the Pacific NW. bjr23

I've looked thru the brochure (pdf) from Napoleon among other places and cannot find the CFM for the blower.

Just found on the internet that the CFM should be 120 Hopefully correct.

The most I've done to lube it is 2x a winter I take it off, blow it out with a compressor and use WD-40.

Someone gave me the name of a Poly Lube or something at Tractor Supply to get which is made to lube high velocity tools and/or blowers.

Since I am on my second blower which was installed early 09, thinking maybe the next blower will be better that Fasco sends (from what I'm hearing).

Thank you everyone for your responses and efforts. I realize that no one needs to take any of their time and have enough going on in their lives. :)

this is this forum is about Gary, helping each other, there are great minds around here always willing to spend the time needed to help a member, just hang in there....:)

GARY24NASCAR said:
Thank you everyone for your responses and efforts. I realize that no one needs to take any of their time and have enough going on in their lives. :)

First things first.

The oil to use is actually on the plate. You should not use WD40 , you need to be very consistent, use only SAE#20 non detergent oil(3 in 1 blue and white can). If things got gummed up or dried out you can work in a couple of drops by hand into the motor by turning the cage in both directions, then when it is freely turning add another drop. Every ton you should check it and add a single drop to each port if needed otherwise every 6 months add two drops to each port.

Now the fan cage also needs attention as it can jam or drag after awhile if there is any crud on it.

Now it is the intent of most folks here to provide help if possible. Some of us are not always that busy, we just happen to enjoy our "toys".

If you don't mind being tag teamed and answering the question it is likely we can scrounge up parts and figure out what is going wrong and get things running again.

bjr23 said:
Hey, add me to the list of users needing that blower. My number is Fasco 7021-7647 and is the old 3000 RPM 1/25 HP. motor. I've taken it apart and lube it and still no operation it hums but just no turning. I've wire it direct with no results, so, I think the motor is toast. The stove is a old Whitfield freestanding Advantage 2 and says testing reslults are 1988 if that means anything. I need a new blower NOW as it's cold up here in the Pacific NW. bjr23

Did you work the first couple of drops of oil in each port in by hand turning the fan?

I believe that member Wood Heat Stoves has the correct blower on their website PM them.

You can also Google Whitfield Convection Fan Aftermarket Replacement

Finally spoke with Steve Arnold. He corrected any confusion for me regarding sleeve bearings compared to sealed ball bearings and stated his Engineering only recommends sealed ball bearings to withstand heat. I was informed to call customer service for referencing my part. Lady said it's a Fasco D207 which I think is really only the motor. Then the WW Grainger PN 3M084.

No other alternative. I asked if something was maybe changed for that part or manufactured differently in it's recent history and was told no.

Looks like I'll be lubing this one and see if it helps (with the correct oil). Although, reading through all other posts it doesn't appear to resolve it.

Otherwise, people would be stating to clean and oil it 1,2,3 or 4 times a season (whatever) and nothing is wrong with the blower and just basic maintenance is required.

If the oiling doesn't take care or it, those bearings can be changed or the motor replaced.

I gave a listen to that video linked to and am wondering what is resonating, it sounds like a bearing but it also sounds like a piece of sheet metal vibrating. A couple of days ago my blower started screeching, so I got out the ole oil can and gave each port a drop. Still made the racket, so I went poking around and found that one of the lower bolt and nut had worked its way loose and had fallen out allowing the metal plate to vibrate. Said oh (bad word) and put things back together, no noise. I always run my convection blower on high.

Both of the blowers that I've found with the configuration you have are 160 CFM units but the motor is identical to the one you have. So they should work if the mount spacing is the same.

You can also just replace the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.