Napoleon NZ 3000H install - timber mantel mounted to steel stud question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amelvin86

Sep 25, 2018
NS, Canada
Hi all,

I'm in the process of having the NZ3000H unit installed in our home. We're looking to install a timber mantel above the unit per the specs. However, I'm having trouble determining best approach to install. Most guidance I find online has mantels mounting into wooden studs, however the area above the stove (to the ceiling) and 6 inches to either side is required to be non-combustible steel studs.

Wondering what the best approach to mounting a "heavy" timber into steel studs would be? My initial thought is to have them install lag bolts or similar rod through the stud before they mount the cement board.

Any thoughts on best practice/approach? This will ultimately be covered in veneered stone so I don't want to have to go back and try and solve for a failed mounting system after the fact.

Cheers,
Allan

Bolts are common...Ive used square tubeing as legs on either side of the fire box, then drilled a hole and put threaded rod thru the square tubeing. Double nut and lock washer .

Thanks for the idea Mcdougy, how do you go about securing the tubing? weld tabs and secure to the sill and header? what side tube?

As a home owner, I've not dealt with steel studs, but can they take a hole and the respective load from a mantel? Our local stove shop which is highly reputable seems to not cross this scenario often. I don't imagine our local market place demands a lot of ZC beauts like this either though.

I'm sure they have a suggestion, but I wanted to wrap my head around options before I touch base with them.

Make sure you check your mantle clearances closely. 2x2 heavy wall tube should be suffice. I like to brace back to the wood wall AND the steel studs.