Napoleon NZ3000 and NZ6000 Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF1635 Owner

Mar 6, 2011
CT
I have been lurking this board for several months now. I am looking at tearing out my Heatilator 42" open fireplace and installing either the NZ3000 or NZ6000.

I have a 3200 sq foot open floor plan cape. The main section of the house where the fireplace is has an 18' ceiling that is open to the foyer and loft with a cat-walk that connects the loft and 3 up-stair bedrooms. there is a ceiling fan in the main room with the fireplace that I currently run slowly in reverse to keep the air circulating for the heating season. The rest of the down-stair has 9' ceilings. The main open part of the house makes up just under 2000 sq feet of the 3200. That is the main part I am concerned of heating.

I have been to the Northeast distributor to physically look at both fireplaces. I liked what I saw in both units. I downloaded and read both units installation instructions and the NZ3000 specs out at 10,000-60,000 BTU and up to 3000 sq feet of heating capacity. The NZ6000 specs out at 10,000 to 80,000 BTU and up to 3000 sq feet of heating capacity.

So my question to current owners is: Do you think the NZ3000 will be adequate to heat the main area of the home 100% of the time, or do I need to go with the 6000? Will the NZ6000 heat the main area 100% of the time? Are you happy with your 3000 or 6000? Any regrets, problems, or wish I would have done it this way? Is the glass staying clean on the NZ3000? What kind of burn time can you get and how warm will it keep your home? I would like to see 72 degrees if the OAT was in the 20's. Did you use a Class A chimney?

I have read all post on both units and there doesn't seem to be much on either unit recently. I am concerned about the glass, and hinges on the NZ6000. I am wondering if either of these issues have been addressed by the manufacture in newer units or in the new NZ3000.

My thought is to go with the slightly smaller NZ3000 and keep a nice large efficient hot fire in it, rather than the NZ6000 with a smaller size fire when the outside temps don't warrant a bonfire to keep the house warm.

Currently the main heating source is oil fired hot water baseboard. We moved to CT 2 years ago and it is my first time not having a Natural Gas boiler for heat and I am tired of being ***** on the cost of oil to heat this place. We have been using the heatilator every night we are home to help. If we start a fire in the fireplace around 5pm it will usually keep the temp at or 1 degree above the temp set on the thermostat and keeps the oil off for the evening but it is def not the way to go long term. We had several nights this winter when we were close to 0 or below and the heatilator helped but the oil was still running quite a bit.

Hopefully this gets me some responses to ask more questions on. Thanks for all the good information just from lurking.

A friend of mine was looking at the NZ3000. He has baseboard heat and central air.

I wonder if the blower could be connected to the central, turning it into a hot air furnace?

MF1635 Owner said:
I have been lurking this board for several months now. I am looking at tearing out my Heatilator 42" open fireplace and installing either the NZ3000 or NZ6000.

I have a 3200 sq foot open floor plan cape. The main section of the house where the fireplace is has an 18' ceiling that is open to the foyer and loft with a cat-walk that connects the loft and 3 up-stair bedrooms. there is a ceiling fan in the main room with the fireplace that I currently run slowly in reverse to keep the air circulating for the heating season. The rest of the down-stair has 9' ceilings. The main open part of the house makes up just under 2000 sq feet of the 3200. That is the main part I am concerned of heating.

I have been to the Northeast distributor to physically look at both fireplaces. I liked what I saw in both units. I downloaded and read both units installation instructions and the NZ3000 specs out at 10,000-60,000 BTU and up to 3000 sq feet of heating capacity. The NZ6000 specs out at 10,000 to 80,000 BTU and up to 3000 sq feet of heating capacity.

So my question to current owners is: Do you think the NZ3000 will be adequate to heat the main area of the home 100% of the time, or do I need to go with the 6000? Will the NZ6000 heat the main area 100% of the time? Are you happy with your 3000 or 6000? Any regrets, problems, or wish I would have done it this way? Is the glass staying clean on the NZ3000? What kind of burn time can you get and how warm will it keep your home? I would like to see 72 degrees if the OAT was in the 20's. Did you use a Class A chimney?

I have read all post on both units and there doesn't seem to be much on either unit recently. I am concerned about the glass, and hinges on the NZ6000. I am wondering if either of these issues have been addressed by the manufacture in newer units or in the new NZ3000.

My thought is to go with the slightly smaller NZ3000 and keep a nice large efficient hot fire in it, rather than the NZ6000 with a smaller size fire when the outside temps don't warrant a bonfire to keep the house warm.

Currently the main heating source is oil fired hot water baseboard. We moved to CT 2 years ago and it is my first time not having a Natural Gas boiler for heat and I am tired of being ***** on the cost of oil to heat this place. We have been using the heatilator every night we are home to help. If we start a fire in the fireplace around 5pm it will usually keep the temp at or 1 degree above the temp set on the thermostat and keeps the oil off for the evening but it is def not the way to go long term. We had several nights this winter when we were close to 0 or below and the heatilator helped but the oil was still running quite a bit.

Hopefully this gets me some responses to ask more questions on. Thanks for all the good information just from lurking.

I have a very similar house layout to you 1600 sqft open floor plan 1st floor 900 sqft 2nd fl loft. 1st fl 9' ceilings, 2nd fl also. 2 br on #2fl. NZ3000 keeps temps good down to the teens. house will stay about 70 as long as you keep up on feeding it. 7" selkirk class a chiminey. Glass does not stay immaculate by any means. Mostly gets dirty towards the top of the arch where the air comes in and washes down the front. I have the blower (nz64) and a homemade outside air kit. house is tight and it helps the draft. doors are no problem on the 3000 seems it was the 6000 with the heavier doors. burn time is around 3-4 hours and will leave coals for 6 or so. anything else shoot.

Thanks Dieselhead for the reply and info. That sounds good. Does anyone else have any input or experience? Any NZ6000 owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.