Napoleon Oakdale insert (1402)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jg268

Oct 26, 2017
dayton ohio
Currently have a 20yr old buck model 91 insert which is cracked beyond repair. I am having to learn about inserts all over again. Apparently Buck does not have the quality it use to? I am looking at a Napoleon 1402. Can anyone tell me how they compare? How is the firebox size? I have wood cut 18-18 1/2 inches will that size fit easly?

I also looked at a PE Summit insert, but the cost difference is great compared to the Napoleon. Any thoughts on the PE would be helpful Thanks

The 1402 is a decent insert. To be fair though at 2 cu ft it's much smaller than the 3 cu ft Summit. The PE Super is closer to the 1402 size and price and a better insert IMO.

I have burned/owned the 1402 and it worked well. Mine was used when I found it and needed some TLC. Would not recommend the 18+ splits for this stove. You might get by loading those east west, but straight in you are going to be really close to the glass door. I typically used 15in splits in my 1402. Check online, Craig's List, ect before spending a lot on a new insert.