Napoleon Pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkupcha

Dec 21, 2006
This is a picture of my 5 year old Napoleon zero clearance. Yesterday it was down to 8 degrees here in the morning and I can heat my 3000s/f house with it. Initailly I had problems with the glass and airwash system but I've developed some techniques to minimize the dirty glass. First is using 2 year old wood. Secondly is loading north/south. For some reason this works best in my firebox. Because of where fresh air enters the firebox it circulates better around the wood when it is N/S. Using this loading technique i can go 2 or three days between cleaning and the cleaning is now easy with just some wet newspaper and ash instead of the constant scrubbing required before.
Now only complaint I have is the sagging doors. If you can see the pic, the doors are very big and heavy. The hinges are blocks that were cast from hollow metal forms instead of being bored from solid steel blocks. Over the course of a season the doors bend the hinges and they touch each other. Luckily the hinges are easily swapped out but its a pain calling the factory each year for a new set. I've helped things by filling the voids inside the hinge blocks with jb-weld. This has strengthed the hinges and slowed the sagging but not completely stopped it. Even with this problem I would recommend the NZ-6000 for people who are interested in the look and extreme heat from a large stove. It really kicks out heat from an utra quiet fan located in the basement. I only hear a "whoosh" of air when it is on. THanks-Joe

Attachments

• fireplace-1.jpg
    fireplace-1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 396
banger said:
The hinges are blocks that were cast from hollow metal forms instead of being bored from solid steel blocks. Over the course of a season the doors bend the hinges and they touch each other. Luckily the hinges are easily swapped out but its a pain calling the factory each year for a new set.

Why not order a new pair from the factory (as templates) and have some stouter hinges made up by a machine shop / metal fabricator?

Just a thought...

Peter B.

-----

Could, but I think its important to get the manufacture to do that. Am in touch with several other owners who all have the same problem so maybe we can make some headway. Napoleon is famous for ignoring owners and only responding to the dealer.

If it's no longer a current model, Napoleon may have little incentive to change the design or manufacture of the hinge.

How long was the warranty period?

Why not have those other owners pitch in toward an improved version of the hinge and have a dozen sets made... or more... you might be able to make your money back selling them to Napoleon owners.

Peter B.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.