Narrow Stove Gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
I have an area 46" wide between a window and a sliding glass door. It is the only area in the basement I could possibly put a gas stove. I would like the option of an alternative heat source that will self light during a power failure. The place is well insulated, so an outage of less than a few days would not cause a freeze up, but if we are gone for weeks, I would not want to come home to a disaster.

Rather than hire a butler to keep an eye on things, I though placing a narrow stove in this location would solve my problem.
I have already had piping placed before I sheetrock. I am looking for suggestions on a stove model. It does not have to be high output. I have looked at the specs on direct vents that are approximately 30" wide, and most only require 1' clearance to a window. My concern is the hot stove being too close to a doorway and someone bumping into it.

Go to your local hearth shop & see what they offer.
They will offer products like hearth gates, to prevent
bumping or making contact with the unit, as well.
If you have flooring installed on top of the concrete,
you may need a hearth pad as well, & that could be
a tripping hazard, which would be minimized by
a hearth gate.

I run a business, so I know what it feels like to have someone stop in just to see a product they intend to purchase elsewhere. My personal opinion is that the guy running the local hearth shop is a crook. I would not spend a dime there. So, I will not go peruse his products and then shop elsewhere as a matter of ethics. The next closest showroom is 2.5 hours away.

I know Napoleon and BK make smaller sized stoves. I was hoping to hear from someone that had a smaller stove they thought was wonderful.