Narrowed down my options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Hey Everyone,
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on an insert to replace my inefficient fireplace.
I have it narrowed down to the Jotul Rockland 550 and the Hampton HI300. As far as price goes, they are within a couple dollars of each other ($2500).
The dilemma I have is choosing which stove I want.
I would kind of like to get some Jotul and Hampton owners to offer some pros and cons of each unit if possible.

Here is my take so far:
Jotul - I like the fan set up and it will take longer wood, but is not as deep as the Hampton (18"widex16"deep for Hampton compare to the Jotul which is 25"wide and 12" deep).
It also seems to be a very sturdily built unit with a good reputation.

Hampton - I like the looks of the Hampton better (as does my wife), but it only has a 2 speed fan and the slightly smaller firebox.
I also like the fact that the Hampton sticks out onto the hearth a bit. What I have read in the ratings section of this website bodes well for the Hampton as well.

I would really like to hear some positives and negatives of each. In the end, my gut feeling is I will be satisfied with either one, but I would like to hear from the pros.

Thanks.

Isn't the firebox on the 550 quite a bit bigger than the Hampton? I recently looked at both of those in person and did like the Jotul. They are a lot more expensive north of the border btw. :(

KB007 said:
Isn't the firebox on the 550 quite a bit bigger than the Hampton? I recently looked at both of those in person and did like the Jotul. They are a lot more expensive north of the border btw. :(

Based on the specs the Hampton puts out more BTUs, but has a shorter (claimed) burn time than the Jotul.

If I was torn between the 2 I think the two speed fan would be the deal breaker. My Jotul 450 has the 2 speed fan and that is my only complaint. I absolutely hate that fan control. The Jotul 550 has a variable speed fan and larger capacity which equals longer burn times. The Hampton sits out on the hearth a little further. Why is this an advantage? You're going to be running the fan on any insert, I'm not sure how there could be an advantage towards a unit that had a few extra inches out on the hearth. Bottom line is that the Jotul is a very well built unit, has a larger firebox, and a varaible speed fan. On paper its a better unit. Put the decision in the wifes hands. If she really prefers the look of one of these units and you buy the wrong one you'll never hear the end of it. They're both really good stoves, I'm sure you'll be looking at it for many years to come.

As you may already know, the Hampton is the same firebox as the Regency I2400. The brown enamel on the Hampton is purdy, but in comparing, I just had the feeling the Jotul was a better built unit. If the price was the same, I think I'd go for the Jotul. The reason I'm installing the Regency I3100 is 1) biggest firebox that would fit my opening, and 2) reasonable price in Canada. The Regency was about 2 grand CDN, both the Hampton and Jotul were almost 4 grand and the Jotul 550 would not fit my opening.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I actually took another look at the Jotul 550 today and I really do like the size of the firebox. The dealer had a couple of long splits in there and I think that really gave me a better understanding of the different size fireboxes between the two. That being said, I genuinely like the look of the Hampton better. Its not that I don't like the Jotul, but the Hampton looks good extending onto the hearth. I also thought that if it sticks out more wouldn't that lead to more radiant heat?

I gather you can't go wrong with either after reading MANY posts here. My sense is that Jotul looks much better and my wife likes the flush look, as do I. Most steel stoves, to me, don't look particularly nice. They look like they were built with only one thing in mind -- heat. The cast iron Jotul looks much more artistic, but to each their own!

Thanks for the input Drewsome,
Now that the heating season nearing it's end I have been looking around for some good deals.
I am still unsure. One day I lean towards the Jotul, the next I lean towards the Hampton.
Eventually I'll pull the trigger and just pick one, but for now I have a little time to wait, so I will look for just the right deal. I imagine the dealers want to get some sales going so as not to have a lull. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

Jaugust124 said:
Thanks for the input Drewsome,
Now that the heating season nearing it's end I have been looking around for some good deals.
I am still unsure. One day I lean towards the Jotul, the next I lean towards the Hampton.
Eventually I'll pull the trigger and just pick one, but for now I have a little time to wait, so I will look for just the right deal. I imagine the dealers want to get some sales going so as not to have a lull. We'll see what happens.
Thanks

While you are waiting get your wood ready now.

Jaugust124 if possible try and get a blower that's on a rheostat switch...you'll be much happier with that.

BrowningBAR,
Great screen name by the way. I am already on the hunt for some wood. I have about a cord currently. Last year I had a ton of trees (25 or so mixed) taken down off my 1/2 acre of land and gave away most of it. I kept some to burn in the fireplace thinking that what I had would last me 4-5 years at least. I never thought I would be shopping for an insert. (I have been kicking myself for some time now.)

I honestly thought last year I would be buying a freestanding pellet stove. After crunching the numbers, the price of pellets compared to the price of heating oil, it just didn't make sense. I really can't see the savings. The prices for pellets range from $275-$325 per ton. Plus the cost of the stove and install would have been close to $5000. I might just as well buy the oil. I finally realized that burning wood is the best way to go. I can always scrounge around for some wood. I have an opportunity to buy 1 1/2 cords of cut and split oak for about $200. I'm just waiting to order whatever stove I choose before I go and buy wood. Hopefully, I can get ahead this year so I don't need to buy in the future.

If you like the way the Hampton sticks out, have you looked at the Jotul Kennebec? Awsome looking stove, a bit cheaper and a bit smaller fire box. Also the 2 speed fan. I'm planning on the Rockland because I like the flush stove and the big box.

We bought the Jotul 550 and have been very happy with it. I probably would have preferred a stove that extended beyond the fireplace, but my wife liked the looks of this one (and she's right on the looks). My sister has the 450. Either is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.