Narrowing it down...Naopoleon vs. Osburn...Help!?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

I'm pretty new here, but I've been reading and learning a lot from everyone. This is better infromation and knowledge than I have come across anywhere else. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my first wood burning insert. I've been over analyzing and researching this to death, but I think I've got it narrowed down to three choices. I was hoping to get some input from the experts, especially anyone here who has first hand experience with any of these.

The three finalists are:
Napoleon 1401
Osburn 1800
Osburn 2200

I have read very good things about both inserts. I haven't found much negative about the Napoleon and I like the looks. Every review seems good and I really like the price. I absolutely love the bay design of the Osburn, but have read both good and not so good reviews. Any input, pros, cons, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The insert is going into an existing masonary fireplace in the lower level of an approximaely 1800 square foot tri-level. I live in southeastern Wisconsin, so it does get pretty cold here in the winter; although nothing like some of you get.

I'm also thinking of doing the install myself. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea or not are also more than welcome. I consider myself pretty handy and usually tackle most home projects myself. From what I've read, it doesn't seem extremely technical. My plan was to have the existing chimney professionally cleaned and inspected before I put the liner and insert in. I'm also not sure if I need to insulate the liner.

I know, quite a few questions from a newbie. I really appreciate any help you can give! :)

I can't speak to the stove choices, but I can see you're on the right track with the chimney. There are quite a few here who have installed their own liners and stoves. As long as your careful, safety conscious, and plan ahead, you should have no problems. Feel free to come here with any questions and concerns!

Congrats on your choice and as always........ WE LOVE PICTURES!!!!! ;)

MrGriz said:
I'm pretty new here, but I've been reading and learning a lot from everyone. This is better infromation and knowledge than I have come across anywhere else. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my first wood burning insert. I've been over analyzing and researching this to death, but I think I've got it narrowed down to three choices. I was hoping to get some input from the experts, especially anyone here who has first hand experience with any of these.

The three finalists are:
Napoleon 1401
Osburn 1800
Osburn 2200

I have read very good things about both inserts. I haven't found much negative about the Napoleon and I like the looks. Every review seems good and I really like the price. I absolutely love the bay design of the Osburn, but have read both good and not so good reviews. Any input, pros, cons, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The insert is going into an existing masonary fireplace in the lower level of an approximaely 1800 square foot tri-level. I live in southeastern Wisconsin, so it does get pretty cold here in the winter; although nothing like some of you get.

I'm also thinking of doing the install myself. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea or not are also more than welcome. I consider myself pretty handy and usually tackle most home projects myself. From what I've read, it doesn't seem extremely technical. My plan was to have the existing chimney professionally cleaned and inspected before I put the liner and insert in. I'm also not sure if I need to insulate the liner.

I know, quite a few questions from a newbie. I really appreciate any help you can give! :)

Wanna guess what I did? look at my sig line

Subtle hint Warren!

How long has your Osburn been in? Any complaints? How much square footage are you heating; not sure if I should step up or stick with the 1800?

Thanks

Hi MrGriz! Warren can be the most help but I wanted to chime in and say we got the same insert put in late this summer and so far are completely in love with it. We have a tiny (960 sq.ft.) ranch and expect to bake ourselves happy. The only problems we've had so far have been self-inflicted :red:

Thanks for the input Bugette.

It takes me a long time to make a decision on something like this. I tend to research a bit too much and over complicae...or is that over confuse...myself! All the information here has been great!

I definitely relate to that---but in our case it was easy to choose---tiny, one-level house and only 2 or 3 options that fit the fireplace. The Osburn was the lesser expensive and better-looking. You don't have alot of sq.footage but with a tri-level I'm guessing you might do better going bigger but again, Warren is your man. Good luck.

I have a 2200 sqft home. If you can fit the larger stove in your fireplace I would. My 1800 easily heats my home, but I do wish I could get more wood in it for better overnight burns. Depending on the size of the room your putting the stove into and the house layout, you should be aware that the even the 1800 can very quickly get room temps very high. The room my stove is in is 22x28 with a cathedral ceiling. It opens directly to the stairs leading up to the bedrooms and the dining room in the house, so while not exactly and open plan, it's not awful either. Our Livingroom is regularly in the high 70s, and I find it too warm most times, but my wife likes it and so do the kids.

You can't beat the bay window for viewing the fire and getting radiant heat out into the room, but it can get dirty and will not burn off no matter how hot a fire you burn, but thats mostly limited to a very small corner of the bay glass in the lower corner.
Take this with a grain of salt though...I'm pretty anal about keeping the glass clean.

I really like our stove, and I have no real problems with it at all. It heats well, there have been NO quality issues/defects, and it looks amazing. Once installed, it looks a lot better than any pictures you've seen.

Here is the picture of mine though. My osburn 1800 from the hearth.com pictures gallery

It looks a little different now because I now have the gold door trim installed.

Thanks for the info Warren. I'm just worried that I may cook myself out of the lower level if I move up to the bigger insert. I own a business and work from home. My office is in the lower level, where the fireplace is located. The room is about 22' x 23', with fairly open stairs to the entry way and upper level.

Can I run the larger insert with smaller loads of wood, or at a slower burn to keep the temp down a bit when I'm in the office? I could then crank her up when I'm not in or want to push more heat to the upper levels.

I was leaning toward the Napoleon, but just fell in love with the bay window of the Osburn.

Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.