Nashville, TN/Louisville, KY gasification/OWB help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shagbark

Sep 29, 2008
south central, ky
I live near Bowling Green, KY (1 hr north of Nashville/1.75 hr south of Louisville) We are getting ready to build a new house and need to know how to rough in Radiant tubing in basement floor for future radiant heat and also how to rough in for water storage tank. From what little I know from reading I like the idea of the indoor gasification located in a detached building and plumbed into home. Any and all info appreciated. I would love to take a weekend road trip and visit a few people and see/learn from there systems. Thanks in advance.

There are sites devoted to radiant flooring - probably better information there. Someone posted a link to one last year that was great - had everything you could ever want to know.

As far as storage, I'd pick your method and design in a space that can be extremely well insulated and where you could remove / replace storage tanks if you had to. The expectation is that tanks should last 20 years or more, but there's no hard data. Having to chop an unplanned hole in the side of your house would kind of stink.

If you're starting with a blank sheet of paper, a pair of 500 gallon propane tanks would make great storage. Current conventional wisdom is that they would be better on end, or at least one above the other, but that may not be practical. 3 or 4 250 gallon tanks would work well, also.

I can report the install of pex before concrete for the the slab-on grade was poured. Pex was routed at one foot on center, attached with plastic staples to the 2 inch ridgid styrofoam. This was approxamatly 4 inches from the surface so no nails or screws could penetrate it. concrete was then poured. I'm sure this would be the same for a full basement floor. sweetheat

Shagbark: If you are still reading this post, I'd recommend that you get someone very experienced w/ radiant floor heat to design or at least sketch in your pipe layout. There are a lot of little details, like how far to keep back from exterior walls, length of pipe run and pump size, pipe spacing at edges vs interior, etc. It is not as simple as it may look, according to my investigations, and a lot depends on where you live. A plumber friend who works at trying to salvage poor designs has shared some sad stories w/ me. Once the 'crete is in, it is real tough to go back and redo "oopses". At a minimum, check out radiant floor forums, etc, like no fo suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.